• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 water pump gasket on a 98 - problem?

shmicah

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99XJ, but I have just come to realize its an early 99 with the 98 head (0630). I realized this when putting my 99 manifold gasket on and it didn't quite line up.

I swapped out my water pump the other day, and used the 99 FelPro gasket for 0331 head:
99 Felpro Water Pump Gasket

The 98 FelPro gasket is a different shape:
98 Felpro water pump gasket

When I was installing, I could see there was extra gasket sticking out from behind the pump. But the silicone bead on the FelPro covered what needed to be covered, and the extra material just looked like places for extra screws. The seal looks like it will be fine. It looks like the 99 seal is just the 98 seal + more paper

Curious if anyone else has anyone ever done this? Any idea if this is worth pulling apart and re-doing? I can't believe I have gone so far not realizing that I had a 98 head on my 99...

EDIT: On a side note, the APN header slipped right on perfectly without the need for modification like many 99's thanks to the 98 head. So glad about that part :)

The water pump gasket(which is on the block) is the same!
The thermostat gasket is also the same.

Looking on Advance website - the part numbers are the same for a 99 or 98 water pump, and I remember comparing my new pump to the original I removed and they were identical. I'm assuming this means I will be good.

The water pump gasket(which is on the block) is the same!
The thermostat gasket is also the same.

Didn't see your post when I was posting my 2nd. The gasket are visually different, but you are probably right that they are functionally the same. Especially given that I finally though to compare waterpumps and see if they are same part # across years. Thanks!

I've used the newer gaskets with the extra I guess seal bead looking thing, I actually like them better, the block, housings and pumps are pretty much the same all the years, but for some reason the last xj years got slightly different gaskets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back