• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar geometry

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
I've been driving without a swaybar for too long. I want to reinstall for better on road handling.

Not knowing the engineering behind how the sway bar works, does it need to be at a specific angle to be effective? From the factory, it is near 90*, but if it were angles downwards, would it still be effective or would it cause more of an issue?

I have a little road trip coming up and I thought about just running to the junk yard and grabbing a stock set up with stock links until I can get disconnects ordered and installed.

Will that hurt anything?

One of those .after market places that sell sway bar quick disconnect have a write up indicating that the end of the sway bar that the link attaches to should be about parallel to the ground (I think it is JKS). That is the way mine is setup with my custom made links and have no problems whatsoever.

JKS recommends that the swaybar link end of the swaybar be 15° UP. As long as the sway end does not snag on anything being at 0° or slightly downward pointed, it won't hurt anything, the swaybar will just be less effective.

When I installed mine I had the sway bar disconnects turned out so the bar was about 60* (no I did not read the directions :anon:)... I felt it wasn't correct and finally looked at the directions which said around 15*. What I noticed was the fact that changing the sway bar angle didn't change the characteristics of the front end response. There is a HUGE difference between connected and disconnected, but none with the different lengths of the end links. At least that was my experience.

Back