• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX differences_'88_'89

Alaskan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to purchase a $400.00, (168K), running, shattered windscreen, beat-up-ragged body, leaking gas tank, trashed interior '88 some 50 miles away for possible parts towards my '89.

My thinking is that there is not much in the way of differences between them as they are both with the 4.0, BA/10 5 speed, etc., other than interior passenger packages.., right?

Since they are both RENIX's, and one year apart, what are the pro's, and con's as per each, (aside from the crappy Peugeot tranny). The '88 has the C101 box on the firewall, and I have looked at the interesting possible future elimination process of it via; http://cruiser54.com/?p=140, (if necessary to keep it as a second running vehicle).

The '88 has A/C which I do not need, or want. However is the A/C unit mounting bracket to the '88 engine useful in which to raise the low mounted Alternator into a higher position on my '89?

Would the ECU be totally transferable, or would there be some functions mixed up between the two years?

Engine, tranny, wiring harnesses mostly the same for connectivity, as per installing the '88 engine, etc., into my '89? Might want to use the older engine if it 'mics-out' good, i.e; engine compressions, rod bearings, etc. and the tranny, and transfer case should the '89 develop replacement issues.

I am guessing the transfer case in the '88 is a NP231 as I asked on the phone the shift pattern, and the answer mirrors my '89 function.

Aside from the above differences, i.e., the internal passenger packages, the C101.., what else?

As per the similarities, i.e., the engine, transmission, transfer case, are there other forum inputs as to what I should consider as useful, or non-useful between the two years?

Pretty much what I am wondering is is this a good deal for a RENIX parts vehicle, as I am miles away from a parts store, usually using certain good inter-net parts houses that are sometimes deficient in having anything close to OEM for these older rigs. (not much in the way of junk yards due to that abortion of parts via our dear leader's mandated "cash for clunkers" scheme.

My internal debate is whether to simply use the '88 as a parts vehicle for the '89, or to consider instead restoring somewhat the '88 as a secondary vehicle in order to face some very fierce winter storms.., lol, depending on which will start up, or not during some global warming cold ass blizzard, etc.

Am interested in fellow RENIX owners for feedback, (as we are a particularly small classic group on this forum). Not sure if others could chime in with credible technical input unless they have either owned a RENIX, or work on the RENIX years.

All credible input of any sort welcomed in order for me to weigh the practicality of said low cost purchase. I may have answered my own questions pretty much, but am wondering if I may have missed something on the balancing scale, one side, or the other.

Thanks RENIX Gang for reading this far...

Thanks 90xj06.., lol, but it's the "should be 'swap-able' ", that has me pondering...

Offer them $200 :) and grab it.

I have bought them in far better shape here for $450.

Thanks guys.., bought it, (based on 'ya-all's good advice, and sensible humor), about an hour ago, i.e., 1900 hrs., my time.

Curious as to why the RENIX ECU from an '89 provides better curves over the '88. I have a vin dedicated extra ECU for my '89.., but I doubt I will install it into the newly acquired '88 as the 'extra' has been Faraday-Caged in the uber sense of EMP protection. Perhaps this question of ECU power differences can be explained perhaps in EcoMike's thread about the RENIX trips...

BTW: Alaskan used vehicle prices often go higher due to the fact that there are few people, thusly fewer vehicles in a land 1/5th the size of the lower 48. I think Columbus Ohio has a bigger population than the entire Great State of Alaska.

I appreciate the value of the NAXJA Forum, and again, thanks 90xj06, cruiser54, Ecomike, for the expert advice, (freely given to me), and this should end this thread.
Happy Trails...

Thanks guys.., bought it, (based on 'ya-all's good advice, and sensible humor), about an hour ago, i.e., 1900 hrs., my time.

Curious as to why the RENIX ECU from an '89 provides better curves over the '88. I have a vin dedicated extra ECU for my '89.., but I doubt I will install it into the newly acquired '88 as the 'extra' has been Faraday-Caged in the uber sense of EMP protection. Perhaps this question of ECU power differences can be explained perhaps in EcoMike's thread about the RENIX trips...

BTW: Alaskan used vehicle prices often go higher due to the fact that there are few people, thusly fewer vehicles in a land 1/5th the size of the lower 48. I think Columbus Ohio has a bigger population than the entire Great State of Alaska.

I appreciate the value of the NAXJA Forum, and again, thanks 90xj06, cruiser54, Ecomike, for the expert advice, (freely given to me), and this should end this thread.
Happy Trails...

They changed the fuel and advance curves between 87 and 88 and 88 to 89-90.

Whaddya doing messing around on the interwebs at work?

Optimizing my life workflow :sunshine:

Not sure which number is the serial, but here she is:
ZoD9BE4.jpg

Back