• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Por 15 on undercarriage

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
So after spending some time putting a new engine in my 98 Xj, its time to do the rust prevention before it gets the daily commute in the north eastern chemical bath this winter... I did a por 15 coating on my other xj a few years back and thats holding up well. Problem is, I cant remember which variation I bought. I know I need the metal prep, solvent and paint itself. This is a common job for jeepers so I figured id as here for someone to kindly remind me which paint to apply.

Big fan of POR 15. Cleaner/Degreaser QT 40104, Metal Prep QT 40204, and the POR 15. That you have to choose yourself. Gloss Black, Semi Gloss Black, Silver, Gray, and Clear. I go back and forth with Gloss and Semi Gloss depending on where I am using it. I use their Cleaner/Degreaser but be willing to bet you could substitute Purple Power or something similar. Would probably be cheaper. Where I put it light does not get too so I do not worry about it turning gray cause of the UV light. As far as topcoat paint goes, if needed, I am under the impression you can use whatever you want. Do recall something in the instructions about dusting with primer after applying POR 15 if you are not going to topcoat right away.

Last year I stripped down my jeep & did the entire undercarriage with POR 15, If you take your time & follow the procedures POR15 works great, I then applied Eastwood Rubberized Rust encapsulating undercoating over the POR15 as a final coat to the underbody. The Eastwood RERU is very tuff stuff & works great over the POR15 on the undercarriage.
Then I top coated POR15ed Axles/suspension parts/Track bar/drop brackets/ etc.. with some POR15 caliper paint I had left over from my WJ Brake upgrade, This is tough stuff that I hope will keep the rust demons away!
I even hit the Steel bumpers with a coat of the Caliper paint & it is holding up great.
This winter I plan on removing the seats & rugs, then applying POR15 to the metal, then reinstalling everything, Hopefully there won't be any surprises in store for me.

I like the stuff from Top Secret Coatings.

Thanks for all the help everyone. But one question. On my other Xj I used the solvent, metal prep and paint but never used that uv protecting top coating. Do I even need a top coat? I thought the top coat was designed to assist with the graying from sunlight which wont happen since its my undercarriage.

The Top Secret stuff has built in UV protection.

Im definitely going to look into that for the door jams. I know por 15 is a quality paint and I have used it on my other Xj so im using it on the undercarriage. And truck bed liner on the bottom 5th of the doors, rocker panels and wheel wells. But I am going to be looking into paint for the door jams soon after and thats an area that could benefit from uv protected paint.

I've been using it for probably 20 years. It is extremely tough, just like POR15, but it has UV and is available in probably a hundred different colors. They have a ton of different paints. I use the TS-100 in the quarts.

Just don't get it on your hootus.:anon:

Back