• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 WJ 4.0 Dana 30 issues

USMC1371WJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 WJ 4.0 and just pull the ring gear out of the front end BC I need to replace the axle seals as well as the side carrier bearings, my question is, after I pulled the gear out it is stamped 48386 and when I was cross referencing it said that this ring gear is a 2000 Jeep liberty . ?? And the WJ part number on the reference page was completely different than the one I just pulled. 1st off did not know these were interchangeable between the grand Cherokee and the liberty.. reason for all of this was BC after a fluid change I started to get a binding /squealing come from the front end, mind you the CV axles are brand new as well as the hub assembly/wheel bearings.. any help on what to do or what the cause of this noise is would greatly be appreciated, it only does it once it is warmed up..

Oh and shal I also add that I am a newbie to jeeps but I can say I fell head over heels 1st time I took her out.. wife says I love that Jeep more than I do her lol..

There's only 2 D30 axles LP and HP, all the components are the same except for the R&P!

Ah ok thank you for the info.. so I wonder why when I cross ref It said the liberty had this but the WJ the one I have is a complete different part#.. ?? Also forgot to mention an issue, also when I put in 4lo and cut the wheel to the right it dam near put me at a dead stop, luckily I was not traveling fast as I was doing fig 8s after new fluid was put in.. any ideas to what the noises whining and binding binding and this dead stop when turn issue could be? Any help or more knowledge on this would be more than appreciated..

It sounds like you might be binding the knuckle joints, you can shim the stops but I would want to know why now?

I've already thought about shimming but the reason why I would have to do that is puzzling me, their should be no reason I would have to reshim unless I put new carrier bearings all around... I think, like I stated above I'm new to these jeeps and not 100% up to speed with the front ends.. I do thank you for your thoughts and opinions though.. this is literally driving me mad.. their is No play in any of the carrier bearings, the front yoke driveshaft has no play and neither does the rear, all u joints looks and feels good... Idk what else I could be missing... All this head ache due to a fluid change.. ridiculous imho lol

And also idk how the knuckle joints could be binding does not matter if I'm doing circles in a parking lot or driving at 35mph down the Rd as it warms up the whine gets louder

No it was not pavement, as I'm new to Jeep 4x4 I know better to hit 4lo on dry pavement lol.. atleast if like to think I know better but no it was in a field next to my house

Was going to buy new carriers axle seals and u joints today and maybe throw back together and see what happens but that quite a bit of time and money and to muck unknown

Maybe one of the CV axles is bad. Why did you change them? Can you put the old ones back in? Fluid is unlikely to cause this issue.

I've already thought about getting a defective axle one of 1st things I did was to take new out and I changed BC the old was about to disconnect at the knuckles also put new and old wheel bearings in in a process of elimination type way.. it was a pain.. well time consuming but anyhow.. Iheard from a few gages and I actually called Chrysler to confirm what I've heard about the fluids ,I was told if you put a synthetic in and it was running non synthetic or vice versa that it would eat the seals and wear on the bearings much faster the bearings felt tight as could be but still changing so I know in me head it's 95% sure it's not the new part

Back