• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Altenators

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
The alternator in my '98 Limited gave up the ghost with 164k on it today when I drove it to work, what's the best option? Parts House Reman, New Aftermarket, or take the factory piece to somebody who actually rebuilds them (probably an 80mi round trip).

I just installed a Durango unit in my '98 this weekend for extra amperage. If you are looking for stock replacement I'd probably just go to the local parts shop and get a reman unit.

The problem I've run into with renans in the past, as in I don't want to replace it before winter is over because all that was done is they cleaned the old piece up, spray bombed it silver, then stuck it in a box.

i just grabbed a reman one from oreillys and its been good for over a year. I don't run anything crazy like lights or radios or whatnot though.

New, or locally rebuilt. Most remanufactured alternators are done in China using substandard parts. It is common for "Lifetime Warranty" rebuilds to be faulty right out of the box. I don't even buy NAPA remanufactured anymore.

I just pull one out of the junkyard.

New, or locally rebuilt. Most remanufactured alternators are done in China using substandard parts. It is common for "Lifetime Warranty" rebuilds to be faulty right out of the box. I don't even buy NAPA remanufactured anymore.

Even manufacturer rebuilds can be faulty. Ford had a problem with some of their re-manned in Mexico Motorcraft alternators a while back... :gag:

Could just be your brushes but if you're ok with $60, have the shop do that work. I think the brushes are about $10 and you'd have to do the work, so it's your trade off to decide.

Well, this just got interesting, Dad was going to pull the alternator while I was at work and luckily decided to check things out first. Everything worked fine, even under load with the lights on and he was getting full voltage out of the battery (almost 5 y/o now and gets charged via charger more than the truck itself) and the truck was putting out 13.75v with the lights turned on. He took it to a parts house and had them scan it and they pulled a P1682 Charging Output Low code out of it, ofherwise, the damned thing was fine.......electrically at least:banghead:

Is that 13.75v ok for the OBD2 trucks? Dad said it was ok on the older Mopars he's owned.

He took it to a parts house and had them scan it and they pulled a P1682 Charging Output Low code out of it

Voltage is just one aspect, you can have voltage with limited current output!

Back