• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 fuse block question

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have a short in the circuits that originate in the two green wire connector that comes off of the hot post of the starter relay. The short is in the circuit that goes through the dome light fuse. I assumed that the top connector in the fuse block was connected to the hot lead, and this was the connector that went to ground. However, when a new hot lead is run to the bottom fuse connector, no lights, no radio. When run to the grounded(well, less than 10 ohms) top connector the interior lights are on, and the radio works, however the interior lights are NOT effected by the door switches and the radio is switched by the ignition. I've puzzled over the schematics to no avail. I really don't want to have to pull the fuse block out. Working under the dash is not fun when your eyes are bad, along with your back. I think the jeep and I are about the same age in jeep years. :)

The two green wires are your starter solenoid and start signal wire to the ECU. Nothing to do with the dome light (as far as I know).

Google: mj1988electricalmanual Not exactly like your XJ but good enough for most stuff (95%). Does a good job of breaking it down into sub systems, a lot easier to understand than the FSM electrical schematics.

the dome fuse supplies power to the courtesy lamps, cargo lamp, dome/map/reading lamp,glovebox lamp, radio, clock, mirrors. it should be a pink wire that feeds all of that. the top of the fuse feeds the circuit and the bottom gets its power from the bolt post on the starter relay that may have been damaged from fixing the green wires.

Last edited:
Okay. The short is in the feed to the lamps. And I have a new wire off of the starter relay post. :) Thanks. You wouldn't happen to know where the connector that feeds the lights, a two red wire connector the schematic says is on the right shock tower, it? I found one over there, but it was a red and red/white wire, and disconnecting it didn't change the short.

Answer a few questions for me. Is the dome fuse blowing? Do you have power to the dome fuse?

If you have no power to the dome fuse, it is likely the parking lights will also be out? Something in firewall harness and you won't have any headlights, parking lights or dome lights? The wiring behind the fuse block and/or the fuse connections (spade connectors) may be bad, sometimes happens with hydraulic fluid leaking onto the fuse block.

Dome_fuse.png
[/url]

The only connector I see on this drawing is the C100, which is the bulkhead connector right behind the fuse block.

If the Dome fuse is blowing, one common place for a short is under the drivers side carpet.

Are you sure you are looking at the right wiring diagram?
87-90 have basically the same harness, except for some connector changes.

Did you download a copy of the mj1988electricalmanual?

Last edited:
I'm thinking it's possible he has the wrong model year or is looking at the wrong model year schematic? Or Freds eyes are as bad as mine.

Sounds like a Renix, the wire colors he is looking at doesn't, for the sub system he seems to be interested in?

Solid red wires all come from fusible links main power in to whatever/wherever.

Wires with stripes are most always fused or switched (switch or relay).

Sometimes it is easy to see the wrong colors, some colors fade, others darken with dirt or whatever. Wiping down the wire with a mild solvent can bring the color back.

Maybe the ABS and non ABS configurations are different?

Daytime running module?

Does it have fusible links at the stater relay?

I may be learning something new here, interesting. :)

Last edited:
I'm looking at the same schematic as 90xj06.

To clarify, no fuses are blowing. The dome light, etc, circuit draws over one amp when the doors are closed and nothing else is on. It feeds off of the starter relay post. I mistakenly thought the ground was in the line to the fuse block, but it is after the fuse. I need to go back and do some more testing without my mistaken assumption. Yes, bias can influence experimental results. :)

The last time I went through the same thing it was under the drivers side carpet. The splices for the dome and door switches were green globs of corrosion.

A bit of work to do on a hunch, but something to keep in mind. Seen the same problem on three XJ's now.

I'm kind of used to odd configurations, we get U.S., Canadian, U.K. and Euro export here. I've only poked around a little in the 90 model. Almost bought one but the previous owner got creative with the ignition system and wanted too much for it. He thought his stainless steel bull bar and custom bumpers were worth their weight in gold. :)

Been there done that, getting old sucks. Packing my 6'4" and two hundred plus under the drivers side dash is an experience.

I've been thinking about pulling up the carpet. I know there's bunches of stuff under there having replaced the carpet previously. I have some wiring diagrams to look at and contemplate. One good thing about 4+ inches of lift and 33's, when I kneel on the ground with the drivers door open, I don't have to bend over much to fit under the dash. :)

Back