• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW-4 Torque converter issue.

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
While working on the MJ project with one of my boys I think I messed something up. Long story short I tried to mate an AW-4 to an engine with a pilot bearing in it. After getting the bearing out I matched them up and bolted the transmission to the engine. When I went to rotate the engine to put the TQ bolts in it would not move. I had to loosen the bellhousing bolts to get it to move. Once all together nothing would move. I pulled it all back apart and it looks as if the TQ has a slight bend on the end.

So question. Can I replace the TQ and be good or is there probably damage to the front pump? How to I test for damage? Any help would be appreciated.

I hate to say it but your probably going to need to replace the pump and have that converter repaired.

Can the pump be replaced from the front without tearing the whole transmission down? Never heard of repairing a TC. I've always been told you replace them. I do see the weld on the front so I assume they are a core item and are rebuilt.

So, did you swap an automatic in for a manual. Did you take a flywheel out and replace it with a flexplate?? Did you re-use those flywheel bolts on the flexplate?

The bolts on a flywheel are considerably longer than those on a flexplate. If you did all of the above...those bolts are sticking out the other side, which is why it won't move.

If you did NOT do any of the above things, nevermind, I dunno. The converter should still move...What makes you think that the pump is damaged? Yes, TC's are rebuilt from a core OR they're new. But they're rebuilt by someone who knows them in and out. Not a garage mechanic.

I just replaced a converter on my AW4, the AW4 that everyone said was toast. The reason I refused to believe it was anything but the torque converter was that the symptoms were exactly what I experienced when I lost all my fluid out on a trail...the truck just wouldn't go. No prior symptoms.

So, did you swap an automatic in for a manual. Did you take a flywheel out and replace it with a flexplate?? Did you re-use those flywheel bolts on the flexplate?

The bolts on a flywheel are considerably longer than those on a flexplate. If you did all of the above...those bolts are sticking out the other side, which is why it won't move.

If you did NOT do any of the above things, nevermind, I dunno. The converter should still move...What makes you think that the pump is damaged? Yes, TC's are rebuilt from a core OR they're new. But they're rebuilt by someone who knows them in and out. Not a garage mechanic.

I just replaced a converter on my AW4, the AW4 that everyone said was toast. The reason I refused to believe it was anything but the torque converter was that the symptoms were exactly what I experienced when I lost all my fluid out on a trail...the truck just wouldn't go. No prior symptoms.

No I'm converting an MJ to 4x4. The motor was from cnickgo and he had a manual. I pulled the transmission from an xj I got form woody. RIP sir. I used that flex plate and bolts on the motor. I forgot or didn't see the pilot bearing in the motor and tried to put the transmission on it and damaged the TC at the very least. I just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vatOfJozFx0 Great tear down video by the way and believe I will be pulling the pump tonight.

So first you remove the bellhousing.

14mm and 17mm sockets.

Then you remove the pump bolts.

12mm

Then use a 10mm 1.25 and thread it in the pump. You will see the right hole when you get all the bolts out. Then use something to pry the pump out. I used a brake tool. The guy in the video I linked used a seal puller.

Next to inspect the pump you remove all the bolts holding it together. Mine fell open so I didn't get to mark it like was mentioned.

You can see where the tabs were pressed back by the converter.

Back