• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering components grease boot question

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
This grease boot tends to tear pretty regularly and it is a fixed boot.
8AE649E3-1E48-407C-AB2D-FCE02D2A2689_zpszb9oj5an.jpg

Is there any reason not to cut it off and use something like this in place of a greasable boot?

B480F634-00D3-4E9B-8C18-81521B141CE3_zpsssst91j4.jpg

I can only guess that the issue with doing that is (1) the rubber mount would be too harsh, (2) the rubber will not allow for enough movement of the components, (3) the rubber will wear out quickly and deteriorate due to the constant rubbing, (4) it won't allow the TRE to seat fully and will hinder it's 360* rotation of the post.

Bad idea, or is it one of those "give it a try and let us know how it works" kind of deals?

Apparently I stumbled upon a curiosity that no one has tried...

My solution was to get a selection from the local auto parts store, trial and error. Amazing how many sizes and different mounting strategies those things have. I also save the old, but still serviceable, ones when I replace a component. I have quit a collection now, most don't seem to fit anything anymore. Seems like many manufactures have their own slightly different ideas on how they should mount and what size is the best.

I even epoxied one on before that didn't seem to want to fit exactly.

As long as it keeps most of the water out and most of the grease in and doesn't bind it is fulfilling it's function.

I once wrapped a CV boot in a plastic bag and closed the ends with duct tape. It lasted a year or more. One of my more ghetto fixes.

I once wrapped a CV boot in a plastic bag and closed the ends with duct tape. It lasted a year or more. One of my more ghetto fixes.

We need to start a Thread on Ghetto XJ-Jeep fixes !!!!! party1:

Or you're the only one curious . . .

Quite possible!

What are you doing that these are always tearing?

Using a pickle fork to separate them. I've been using V8 ZJ units, which I get from the junk yard. Shouldn't be an issue anymore. I finally got a TRE separator.

Big hammer on the rounds or a TRE separator is the way to go.

So this is a proposed solution for a problem that does not exist.

This is a proposed solution to a currently torn boot. The rest of the rod is obviously good. I could replace the whole rod, but if this fix is legitimate and has the longevity it seems to be one option for repair over replace.

Back