• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gurgling from gas tank

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
The past few days I have noticed a gurgling sound coming from my gas tank when I shut down the vehicle. Does anyone know why this is happening and if it's a big deal? It's a 98 xj 4.0

Might be hearing the check valve letting the fuel drain back in the tank? How does it start? Does priming the rail a few times by turning on and off the ignition help it start sooner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has done that from day one, 16yrs later - it still does!

It starts perfectly, no different when primed multiple times. Fuel pump is 2 years old and engine was replaced over the summer after I bought it as a project xj

This is an older thread I posted when I first got my second Xj. I wanted to bring this back up because tonight when I got home from college and the JEEP WAS STILL RUNNING I happened to notice that gurgling sound happens even with the engine and fuel pump running. Just to quickly debunk some strange and seemingly impossible pressure buildup, I turned the Jeep off and opened the fuel cap. I pressed the little aluminum lid that covers the hole inside the filler tube and got no pressure release. The noise also continued. This leads me to believe that maybe it isnt the check valve? Guys... whats going on here xD

Back