• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going from Standard to Up Country Springs, new track bar needed?

Thx Tim_MN

I figured Chrysler used the same TB. Would there be an advantage to upgrading? I am likely going to go to 255/70/15 tires....at minimum 235/75/15.

The size of the tire has nothing to do with the track bar length. The upcountry springs are only about an inch taller, well within the stock track bar capability. The only reason to change would be if the existing track bar joints are worn.

I have an up country equip jeep and the trac bar is the same as any other XJ.

Ive since upgrade all of my suspension but why are you specifically looking to use the upcountry springs?

Last edited:
With an upcountry-ish lift of 1-1.5" you will not need to change anything. I have this setup (with 30/9.50/r15 tires) and the front end geometry is still within factory spec when reviewing the data from a computer alignment.

One thing it can bring to the surface is that old u-joints that have happily been at one operating angle range for a long time sometimes don't like the adjustment to the new angles. I had new u-joints all around when I did my lifting, and I still went through about 200 miles of a more rumbly driveline while the u-joints settled into their new positions. It settled out on its own.

It also brought to the surface a need to replace worn sway bar bushings and end-links. The front end was a bit road-surface vibe-ish until I got in and replaced those. (very very cheap, easy, and quick job). My passengers did not notice it, but I could feel it in the steering wheel (a light vertical shutter that was sensitive to the road surface). If your bushings and end-links are in great shape, you may not even have this issue. And it was just an annoyance, I could have left the old ones in for a long time if I was willing to tolerate the different feel. But something about lifting your vehicle makes you hyper sensitive to every noise, vibration, and odd feeling for a while.

Thanks for the replies everyone

Ive since upgrade all of my suspension but why are you specifically looking to use the upcountry springs?

I think going higher than that, I'll reach the point of diminishing returns on cost vs how I'll be using my Jeep. I don't want to get into a transfer case rebuild (for SYE) and it'll be mostly road plus mild trails for camping. I'll not be rock crawling or any such thing (famous last words I know), so an inch or so over stock should do it. I've made it down some rather rough trails in stock config. I don't plan on pushing it beyond what I've done.

As an aside, I've read in a few places people upgrading from the HD springs. What did you go to and how do you like it?

With an upcountry-ish lift of 1-1.5" you will not need to change anything. I have this setup (with 30/9.50/r15 tires) and the front end geometry is still within factory spec when reviewing the data from a computer alignment.

One thing it can bring to the surface is that old u-joints that have happily been at one operating angle range for a long time sometimes don't like the adjustment to the new angles. I had new u-joints all around when I did my lifting, and I still went through about 200 miles of a more rumbly driveline while the u-joints settled into their new positions. It settled out on its own.

It also brought to the surface a need to replace worn sway bar bushings and end-links. The front end was a bit road-surface vibe-ish until I got in and replaced those. (very very cheap, easy, and quick job). My passengers did not notice it, but I could feel it in the steering wheel (a light vertical shutter that was sensitive to the road surface). If your bushings and end-links are in great shape, you may not even have this issue. And it was just an annoyance, I could have left the old ones in for a long time if I was willing to tolerate the different feel. But something about lifting your vehicle makes you hyper sensitive to every noise, vibration, and odd feeling for a while.

Thanks for the insight. I'll make sure I am aware of these.

How do the 30x9.5x15 tires fit? I was thinking 255/70/15. I little shorter and a little wider.

Last edited:
I had the stock up country lift with BFG 30x9.50.15 (they fit nicely) and that was a great combo. Ive had the stock cherokee in many places i never thought it would go. however once you decide you like getting to the neat places a little easier you may consider a bigger lift but for now you seem to know well what your looking for.

I decided on Rubicon express 3.5" super flex kit and bilstein shocks. If for any reason your going to replace shocks i would say get something good because the ride quality alone is worth it. Over time ive added all new suspension/steering components and I love that i did. The jeep rides much better and I didnt lift so high as to need an SYE or new drive shafts. It was just a little push that I needed over the stock set up to get around Colorado back country more easily and boy can you ever. A little lift goes a long way (tires to!) and good suspension products last while working for your vehicle.

The only real complaint i had on the stock set-up for camping and bumpy areas was the lack of sway bar disconnects. you need 0 lift to run them and they are well worth looking into.

best of luck with the new set up!

Last edited:
I had the stock up country lift with BFG 30x9.50.15 (they fit nicely) and that was a great combo. Ive had the stock cherokee in many places i never thought it would go. however once you decide you like getting to the neat places a little easier you may consider a bigger lift but for now you seem to know well what your looking for.

I decided on Rubicon express 3.5" super flex kit and bilstein shocks. If for any reason your going to replace shocks i would say get something good because the ride quality alone is worth it. Over time ive added all new suspension/steering components and I love that i did. The jeep rides much better and I didnt lift so high as to need an SYE or new drive shafts. It was just a little push that I needed over the stock set up to get around Colorado back country more easily and boy can you ever. A little lift goes a long way (tires to!) and good suspension products last while working for your vehicle.

The only real complaint i had on the stock set-up for camping and bumpy areas was the lack of sway bar disconnects. you need 0 lift to run them and they are well worth looking into.

best of luck with the new set up!

And every time I read a post like this I think to myself I should just bite the bullet.

I have an up country equip jeep and the trac bar is the same as any other XJ.

I can confirm this, when I bought my jeep it was a up country package xj and the track bar the same as a non upcountry package jeep

Back