• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine replacement 99 xj

The Badness

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, got a 99 xj 4x4 AT AW4.
I'm replacing the engine. I found a 4.0 out of a 95 YJ with low miles for a decent price. Will it fit without modification? Or are the accessories in different locations? I'm looking for a plug and play application more or less to keep time and cost down. Thanks!

Oil filter placement might be different (they kept moving it for some reason) but far as the block and head you should be able to bolt it all up.
There are differences in the years but essentially the blocks all bolt up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. Any knowledge on sensor placement and whether or not any of my obd2 sensors will bolt up?

Mainly oil sender Isuppose. As I remember it's the only one that screws into the block

I've not done a swap with these years. Should be straight forward except for the rear temp sensor on the 95 which you won't need, so you could leave the old sensor in place.
I know plenty of plugs changed but stuff like intake you'll and ac brackets you'll need to swap over.

You may have some issues as far as the wiring goes. The connectors may be a bit different but if that's the case, use your intake, cps, oil pressure sender and ignition coil from your original block

Back