• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hesitation when accelerating out of turns, spark plug?

keseyrage

NAXJA Forum User
Recently purchased a 94 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0L i6. I was trying to check if I had a bad head gasket and tried removing one of my spark plugs to see if there was any residue. I ended up doing a cooling system flush, water pump and thermostat aswell. In the process I removed one of the fuel lines to get to the power steering pump screws.

Fast forward:

I'm now having a problem when accelerating out of turns. My jeep hesitates and feels like it will stall. I initially chalked it up to me not being good at driving stick shift, but I know it's more than that.

The problem wasn't there when I bought the jeep, and only showed up after doing the things I mentioned above. What do you think is causing my problem?

1. Messed up something with the spark plug or wire.

2. Air bubbles in fuel line

3. Fuel pump maybe?

4. Air bubbles in radiator (I tried bleeding it and still has the problem)

Does it accelerate good in a straight line? But not in a corner?

I might check that the CPS wires did not get up against the exhaust manifold.

How much gas in the tank? If it is low, the gas can slosh to one side, starving the fuel pump.

I would recheck your work to make sure everything was buttoned back up properly.
Like old_man, I suspect you're just starving the fuel pump and you're either low on gas or maybe the pickup has shifted. I can make it happen on the right climb with less than half a tank. Rare but it does happen. Ignore this if your fuel tank is baffled but I didn't see any baffling in my oe or replacement tank on my 91.

It started happening around 1/2 tank, only when cornering. I just filled it to a full tank and it runs like a dream. What gives? i

It could also be the short hose between the pump and the mounting bracket.

Back