• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Output Alternator

ODBJeeP

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone I have a 1985 Jeep Cherokee with the 2.8 chevy engine. I plan to use this rig for overlanding and camping adventures and i am going to need more power from my alternator to run lights, winch, radios, power inverters etc. Does anyone know what would be the best and least expensive way of doing this. I have went to several sights that do have 220A alternators but for $300 or more. I would like to get at least 130A alternator off of another vehicle if anyone knows what would interchange.

Thanks for any help
Willie

There is a gm set up for this. I need to look it up again.

Basically since it's a gm motor it's a matter of finding a higher output with the right housing clocking.

I don't know it it will be high enough for what you are looking for .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to research this, things have changed a little since I upgraded mine.
The OEM alternator is 12si alternator, in the cherokee and s10s its a very low rated alternator.
First time I replaced it I grabbed a slightly higher output from a chevy v8 at a junk yard. The last time ordered a rebuilt one with higher output and reclocked the case to work for the 2.8. Can't remember now what it was supposed to be for.

More recently the 2.8 s10 guys are talking about upgrading using the ad244 alternator, different plug and serpentine belt, I don't know how well it will adapt to v belts.

Before this the cs130 alternator was the poison of choice, even the cs144. There are all kinds of upgrade videos and kits available to make the plugs work.

You can get high output for the stock 12si alternator. not sure if the clocking is correct on these examples. BTW the correct clock is "Clock: 9:00"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140A-HIGH-O...ONTIAC-OLDSMOBILE-BUICK-CADILLAC/281005141374

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200AMP-HIGH...C-OLDSMOBILE-PONTIAC-DELCO-12SI-/251170986477

I think the other cheorkee (87-90) and grand cherokee use this or similar alternator, some others may know what to upgrade it to.
There used to be a list of what to ask for at the parts counter. I can't find it, might be form a site that no longer exists.

Last edited:
I'm not certain which alternator you have.

Here's a link to Delco alternator upgrade/rebuild kits. This site also carry parts for other brand alternators such as Denso, but no longer carry the Denso upgrade kits, which upgraded the larger case Denso to 200 amps.

Components:
- Precision wound, double insulated stator
- Transpo heavy duty rectifier
- Transpo heavy duty voltage regulator
- Premium quality brush assembly
- Heavy duty 1.5Mfd Capacitor
- Heavy duty diode trio
- Premium, double sealed, hi-temperature WBD bearings

http://www.aspwholesale.com/alternator-upgrade-kits/delco.html

Careful when looking at alternators on eBay, many of eBay upgraded and high output alternators basically use cheap parts and may only rewind an alternator to try to acheive higher output. A quality high output alternator does much more than rewind, it upgrades the stator, rectifier, voltage regulator if applicable and possibly other parts with quality built parts. A good high output alternator is able to achieve a better at idle output and not only a better WOT or higher rpm rating.

Manufactures that actually build High Output alternators their cost can become high because most people stay with an OEM or OEM replacement alternator, which is usually enough ouput for their engine, battery lighting and perhaps a few accessories. Many OEM alternators don't put out and operate well enough other than for street driving with a few accessories. The OEMs are really only a bare minimum when it comes to alternators.

Most of the aftermarket puts out OEM replacements which may be a hit and miss as they often fail or may fail after a short while. If you go with an inexpensive aftermarket or aftermarket upgrade I would take a look at the warranty, many are known to fail after a short while. A good OEM alternator will normally last longer than an aftermarket as the quality is normally higher.

With OEM replacements I always get one with a lifetime warranty as their known to fail after being installed a short while.

Actual High output alternator cost is significantly higher. For Denso's the prices start at around ~$400.00 for anything with any sort of quality. Older Delcos it's probably less as it's an older technology and not used in more modern vehicles.

Last edited:
My connection has been continually going down then back up again, so I wasn't able to finish or re-edit my previous post before the allotted editing time of Naxja forums.

I was saying quality high output alternators may cost more than ~$300.00.

I'm not certain I would waste money on some of the ~$200 - ~$350 HO's. that claim to be ~200 amps and higher.

For your purpose I would probably upgrade above the OE from around ~130 to ~170 amps, should be good enough for your needs. If you don't load down a HO any additional power output isn't really needed. If you need and going to use e.g. ~170 to ~370 amps then it's worth the additional cost. There are quality HO's that start at around ~170 (+/-) amps because that's all the power a customer requires. Above 200 amps often isn't ever needed because a person doesn't have 200+ amps of lighting, winch, etc.

For longer duration of power all that's really needed (for later XJ's with a Denso) is a min. of 90 amps and a second battery. For off-road I have an OEM alternator plus a second Group 31 battery that supplies enough power for my needs. I also have some solar panel options from around an amp for trickle to ~7 amps for charging. I don't always carry the solar unless I'm going to have enough sunlight. Prices for AGM batteries have dropped quite a bit to around ~100 dollars. An AGM can be installed inside the Jeep. I have my AGM installed with some 1/0 welding cable to a 200+ amp manual switch. When driving I just switch to both batteries and the OEM alt charges both. When at home I sometimes connect both batteries to a trickle charger so to float them, when not in use.

My starting battery a Yellow Top Optima is now over 9 years old and still putting out and behaving the same as when new. I have several open cells marine batteries in a RV I can get perhaps ~10 to ~15 years from. As for starting batteries nationally AGM's are replaced approx. ~1/2 the time than open cell batteries which require more maintenance. For deep cycle batteries open cells are usually preferred because their able to last up to ~15 to ~20 years with proper maintenance.

If I were going higher amps such as from ~170+ to around ~370 I would be looking to spend for a Denso at least ~$400.00 for a HO. (Differences in price may be due to the type of metal finish or the type of metal case an alternator has, where the internals may be exactly the same) Some of the machined type metal case alternators are more expensive as they're more durable and have less case breakage and failure than other types of cases.

Mechman, Powermaster, DC Power, etc. are more popular HO's.

http://www.mechman.com/alternators/buick/riviera/all-engines/1963-1985-with-12si/

http://www.mechman.com/alternators/gmc/s-15/4-3l/1988-1993/

Another one that appears to have good ratings is Fitzall but don't know much about it other than from description.

https://www.powerbastards.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Fitzall-220

Last edited:
For 130 amps I think a used or good rebuild gm alternator will do the trick.

Just not sure what he should search for. But all the options are on the table.

When I got a rebuilt it was not very high output, I'm thinking it was 90-100. I think for the 12si it was a matter of knowing which Cadillacs and other high-end GMs had the 12si alternator to get one with a better output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back