• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition cylinder help

freshedie92

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys my trucks torn apart, and i dont know what the heck to do other than give up and go back to faulty cylinder. Any advice is much appreciated.

92 comanche. 5 speed, base model.

oe ignition cylinder works without key. I decided to change it, new one doesnt release the key after its installed. I did make sure that the cylinder is put in the right place with the tab sticking out.

Funny thing is the old one works appears to work perfect outside of the car.

also i cant put the ignition in lock no matter what i do. not sure if that means anything. I tried to put steering wheel on and move the wheel to see if that would allow the cylinder to turn and release key. No luck.

Okay so i just figured something out, my old cylinder works just fine, the thing is once it starts turning you dont need the key to keep turning it, and the key releases at any point. but when the key locks it needs the key to turn it.

Anyways bottom line is the problem, imo is somewhere in after that. The metal tab that the cylinder turns that eventually starts turning the motor does not go back far enough to lock the cylinder.

Because once my old cylinder is "unlocked" the key can be removed and it continues to spin, the result is i can start my car without a key.

Now the real question;
How do i make the metal tab go back far enough to allow the cylinder to lock.

Pictures:
I do not see a simple way to add photos, thus no photos, I hope this all makes sense.

Been ages ago, but when I replaced that part on my 85, they gave me the wrong year key-cyl-Ign lock assy. Later I recalled the steering column had been swapped with one from a JY, and was probably a latter year. You might have the wrong year part?

Look very closely at every little part of each one you have and see if there is any slight difference in location of the outer parts. There is a great post somewhere with great photos of the parts and steps for working on the Jeep XJ columns, made by GM by the way in the earlier years, 85-90. Not sure if was 91 or later the column brand changed.

Yeah the 91 up are different from the older gm style lock cylinders, I swapped the ignition cylinder once the books (I had) are wrong about how to remove it. Put the old 92 cylinder in a 94 steering column, the original cylinder also does that trick of removing the key after taken out of lock .
Still screwed something up, it buzzes all the time. I think I broke that plastic part of the steering where it gently connects.

Glad you've got it figured case the column is a PITA to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back