• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

84' wagoneer ???

edboyce1971

NAXJA Forum User
I have found an 84 wagoneer with a v-6 for $25 It is not in that great of shape but I thought I could use it for spare parts. Does anyone know what kind of drivetrain these were set up with? It has cv joints on the front axle...I can't tell what the rear axle is. It is pretty much a POS but for $25 is it even worth pulling home? Any input would be appreciated.

PS. It has a factory hitch and the unibody looks strait.

Thanks for any input

Ed

if it's a v6 i believ it's a GM 2.8. I have no love for them but others might.......$25 sounds really cheap...for parts it might be useful.

Virtually none of the drive train parts will interchage with later years. The tranny is a Chrysler (904, I think). Transfer case is an NP 228 or 229 that does not lock the front and rear drive shafts in 4WD-Hi. As you noted, it uses CV joints in the front, not u-joints. The transfer case is huge, so I'm going to guess that the rear drive shaft may not be the same length as a later model with a 4.0L and 231 or 242 transfer case.

If you have a place to put it, it's worth $25 for the body parts and glass, but the drive train and electrics won't do you any good unless you have an '84 or '85.

Eagle said:
Virtually none of the drive train parts will interchage with later years. The tranny is a Chrysler (904, I think). Transfer case is an NP 228 or 229 that does not lock the front and rear drive shafts in 4WD-Hi. As you noted, it uses CV joints in the front, not u-joints. The transfer case is huge, so I'm going to guess that the rear drive shaft may not be the same length as a later model with a 4.0L and 231 or 242 transfer case.

If you have a place to put it, it's worth $25 for the body parts and glass, but the drive train and electrics won't do you any good unless you have an '84 or '85.

Eagle, I'm just curious - would the CV joint axle (whole assembly or shafts) fit another year? Seems like kind of a nice idea if it did.

Back