• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are the odds?

nicpaige

NAXJA Forum User
What are the odds of the oil pressure gauge pegging and vehicle speed sensor going bad within two minutes of each other? I'm thinking I may have disturbed a ground somewhere.
Started jeep up and headed into town, I instantly noticed my oil pressure gauge was pegged high. Then within a minute I notice my speedometer not working. Then 30 seconds later the CEL comes on. Scanner says faulty vehicle speed sensor.

I had some weird problems and cleaned all my ground points and replaced my battery terminals and ground strap and they all went away.. Been fine since.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

On my 97 the gauges usually read zero and the ABS light comes on when the gauge cluster connections are at fault. It's oil pressure sensor was going out and would read low and wavy. On my 01, oil pressure pegging was a bad sensor. The temperature sensor would also be a bit wonky, and dip, and that was a bad connection at the sensor. I can't relate to your experience because I've not seen it but you can whack your instrument cluster and see if it wakes up and go from there. Checking grounds is always a good idea. It just seems that oil pressure and speed are different connectors so I'm not sure...

Back