• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best years of xj's

alaska55

NAXJA Forum User
looking around for a xj to get in the 2500-4000 range. what years to avoid and what problems to watch out for. mostly looking for minor offroading on (hunting) logging roads in virginia, can get quite muddy. also towing a jon boat. will be probably be putting on a 3 inch lift.

thank you.
Scott
p.s. 4.0 and auto trans.

Well in that price range your kind of limited so, I would say 88-91. 4.0 engine, AW4 tranny. Than just look for what you want on it. Power opitions and the like.
What to look out for is rust on the floors, if possible unscrew the panals and give it a look. Also check the under side for rust. around the cat. convertor & muffler.
Stay away from pre 87 XJ's, the engines for the most part suck. The 91's have the newer HO 4.0 that makes some more HP's. So it really is up to you. Juice

First off what ever XJ you buy you will get a very capable vehicle. Also with any older vehicle you will have to do maintenance, goes with the territory.

You have to ask yourself what you are willing to spend on the vehicle, what shape you are willing to take.

As most of us know late 80s paint just sucked on any car. You may find a good XJ with bad paint that other wise in great shape.

I think most people on this board think of the XJ with the 4.0 liter engine. I know there are people with the 4 cylinder but the 6 cylinder is most talked about.

The 4.0 engine came out in 87 and had the AW4 transmission behind it. They keep that engine/trans combo until the end in 2001. There also two different manual transmissions for the XJ but I am what year they changed over, somoene else on here can tell you.

If you want 4 wheel drive you have two transfer cases the NP231 and the NP242. The 231 will only let you drive on drity/gravel - no pavement, it is a part time 4x4 system. The 242 has all those features plus a full time mode which allows you to drive it on paved roads.

As yo know in 1984 American Motors (AMC) came out with the XJ. Then in 1987 AMC/Jeep was purchased my Chrysler.

I have found the AMC XJ was built through the 1990 model year. Then the first major Chrysler "improvements" were made to the vehicle.

I know from buying shocks for my 88 XJ that there is a difference for the pre 91 and the 91 & later XJs. Totally different part number for the front shocks. Same part number for rear shocks for all years - 84-2001

The Pre 91 XJs have the Renix ignition control system. It was only used for 4 or 5 years. Parts are starting to get expensive and disappearing. The Renix sysem does have a knock sensor, this allows you to run 87 octane gas with no problems. There is also a factory high alt crankshaft position sensor which gives you more advance, it is a way to get more power!

The 91 and later XJs use the chrysler engine control. It stores error codes and parts are more plentiful. It does NOT have a knock sensor so you may find yourself having ot burn 89 or higher octane gas to prevent knock. There is more performance aftermarket stuff for these engines.

If you don't like working on a vehicle then don't buy an XJ. As with any older vehicle you will find youself replacing stuff. You can read on this forum about all the things that come up.

One additional note: in 95 they changed both the seats and the steering column (went from GM to Chrysler when they added airbag). The later models are all right, but I prefer the pre-95 seats for comfort, and the Chrysler wiper control stinks. Half the time I hit the washer when I signal a turn, the intermittent settings are fewer and there's no single-wipe option. Dumb design! :mad:

Oh yeah, and I can never seem to find the horn button when I need it , although it's easy to hit by accident when backing up. :mad:

okay so i didn't find a pre 95. but did find 95 4dr with 133k on it. motor sound tight and drives nice (not my fav color). they must cost more in PA than virginia, but then if you stay away from dealers and deal with private partys prices are much better. i paid $2900 nice body fairly clean interior no rips a few stains on front seats. now comes the mods.

thanks for the advise

Scott

Let me add this-

From somewhat an asthetic standpoint in some cases the '96 or '97+ (the final big change) XJs i have found to be so much better for me in many ways. This is no more apparent than in the dash arrangement. Do not think i have found a more perfect layout on any vehicle. All the gauges are there any engine should have and are perfectly placed. The radio, HVAC controls, vents and more are up there in the dash close as can get to eye level and are great, easy access. Do not like how, as an example, the Grands around 2000 had that low sweeping kind of dash which throws everything way down there limiting access and visibiltiy. Also i love the cup holders!

I am aware the Chrysler ign system does not have a knock sensor for some reason, but is not that big a deal i have found. However that clutch design, the intake design ('99+), the brake system lending itself particularly well to disc mods on rear, the 297 joint high pinion (through '99) front end, basically good 29 spline 8.25 rear, dependible trans's, improved durability engine block and pistons, excellent and accurate cruise contorol, improved steel construction rear hatch, are some things i think makes those years the best for overall use. I have not found the operation of the steering column stalks on my '98 to be of an issue whatsoever.....and the prices of these are becoming quite reasonable.

Thanks. Has been my experience and just wanted to throw that out there..........

"JP" magazine just did a piece on the Creme De La Creme Jeeps. They said pretty much all XJ's are good but particularly 91-93 (pre- OBD-2) And most liked the 97+ because of cosmetics. They reccomended any XJ with a 4.0/aw4/231/8.25".

I don't see why my 94 doesn't fall into this category. I'm pretty sure I have pre OBD-2 (1 , 02 sensor) pre airbag, new A/c 134 a(doesn't work), no abs, and a 8.25".

a few things to expect...

A bitch list, I guess.
First off, Chrysler switches SUK. Things you rarely use will break out of the blue (parking brake buttons, rear wiper, HVAC temp, etc.) get used to the back of your dash, and paying OUTLANDISH prices for cheap, replacemnt crap.
Weird rust areas. Body looks great on my 97, but there is bizarre rust in odd places (top of windshield, inside gas door, etc.)
Fuel touchiness. They knock like hell, on some gas. Find a brand/grade/octane that works and stick w/it.
Upgrades are expensive, now that DC quit stocking a lot of stuff. Brushbars, skids, etc. are ALWAYS more for an XJ. Every year.
Great vehicles, overall, but Chrysler skimped WHEREVER POSSIBLE (see previous complaints.)
I love my XJ, but have never owned a vehicle w/stranger breakage.
My 3 cents.

MassbayXJ pretty much nailed it...

best XJ you can buy is 91-93

they all are open system have OBD-I NOT OBD-II which is a pain in the A$$, they are all non diconnect up front. no airbags to worry about. plus they have extra ribbing on the block compaired to previous years( i think this went into affect in 90' but 90 still had closed system)

Re: Some if not all 91's

JEONLYEP said:
Some if not all 91's have the new motor and the open radiator system. After seeing so much grief about the closed system I'd want to stay away from it.

Just my .02

I have to take issue with this. Too late for the original questioner, but for the benefit of others who may later read or refer to this thread -- the '87 thru '90 "closed" cooling system works just as well as the '91 and up "open" cooling system. The closed system uses a plastic pressure bottle, and some folks have had problems with the bottle losing pressure. The bottle on my '88 lasted as long as the radiator did -- 12 years, and about 175,000 miles.

I would be much more worried about avoiding the ''89 thru '91 ABS system, which was so horribly bad that the Feds forced DaimlerChrysler to warrantee most of the system for the life of the vehicle. That's fine, but reports are that if that system fails you don't default to non-ABS brakes -- it can leave you with NO brakes.

Re: Re: Some if not all 91's

Eagle said:

I would be much more worried about avoiding the ''89 thru '91 ABS system, which was so horribly bad that the Feds forced DaimlerChrysler to warrantee most of the system for the life of the vehicle. That's fine, but reports are that if that system fails you don't default to non-ABS brakes -- it can leave you with NO brakes.

Ditto, the anti-locks. Horrid. If a wheel sensor fails, you have no brakes. Very scarry. Many, but NOT ALL parts are covered for life.

I have the 89 w. abs and yes it could be better but due to the class action suit I now have a lifetime warranty on the abs pump (for the power brake system) and the abs solenador/modular system. When my abs wheel sensor went bad it did not leave me w/o brakes they just revert to non abs status. I have owned it since new and have much experience with this abs system. Nevertheless I unless you really love the benefits of abs I would avoid the bendix 9 abs sys on pre 91s. Greg

Re: Re: Some if not all 91's

Eagle said:
I have to take issue with this. Too late for the original questioner, but for the benefit of others who may later read or refer to this thread -- the '87 thru '90 "closed" cooling system works just as well as the '91 and up "open" cooling system. The closed system uses a plastic pressure bottle, and some folks have had problems with the bottle losing pressure. The bottle on my '88 lasted as long as the radiator did -- 12 years, and about 175,000 miles.

I love my 88 4.0 5sp 231 D35 w/5.5 in lift 33/10.50 mudders
the biggest problem w/the closed cooling is that the heater control valve gets blocked due to a small outlet, other than that
i think an 88 xj is the best !!!!!!!!!

I'll vote for the '88 as well. Still uses all AMC parts. I like DC but sometimes they do some really stupid stuff. Before you flame me I know that the older XJ's use GM parts too. I can tell which ones too. I've had to replace most of them! ;-)

In all seriousness, I think if you find a nice older XJ with low miles you'll do best in value. I found my 88 XJ with only 147k. I keep seeing all kinds of later models with 90-100k already.

I might just be a little partial.... :)

I enjoy my 88 and my 00. The 88 just has more style :cool: . Oh btw, I've replaced my "pressurized coolant recovery bottle" on the 88 twice. First one cracked apart underneath, second one just split open. OE replacement 75 bucks. :confused:

i have owned several of the non-HO cherokees(87-90) I think the torque is more present on the bottom end in the older non-HO motors, the newer ones do have noticeably more pull at higher rpm ranges. My roomate just got a 99 Classic, and i cant stand the interior design and styling of that thing. the dash is HUGE and comes up way higher than the old style did, it makes the windshield seem tiny the rearview mirror seems to block half the windshield. Also with the new seats, they dont go back or down as far as they used to, i'm 6'5 and its a real tight fit for me to get into the drivers seat, i also dont like the wiper controls it seems flimsy. On the other hand i really like the rounded over exterior styling. Just putting my little nit picks out there...

Back