• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Coolant Change - block drain plugs

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to change the coolant in my 89 XJ 4l. The manual states there are two drain plugs on the block; one on either side of the rear lower block. There are no coolant drain plugs on my motor that I can find. I got everything flushed reasonably well, but now I can only add about a 2 litres of liquid (want to do one more flush with distilled water before I add the antifreeze) to the reserve tank and it won't take any more. What am I missing?

Did you unhook the bottom radiator hose to get it as empty as possible?

Having an 89, your CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) is installed into the drain on the driverside. Rear lower block close to the bellhousing. Remove that to drain.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Personally until I moved my CTS up to the thermostat housing, I've never pulled this plugs. Just pull the lower to drain, hook back up to flush (through the heater hoses) and pull lower hose again to drain.
Both my 88 and 00 have never had an issue.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Those block plugs are on the driver's side and are 5/16" square drive. You can hardly get them out when the engine is on a stand!

Just do what 8Mud suggested.

I used a spare 3/8 extension that was ground down to fit. Hammered it in and used a 6 foot cheater bar. It took a surprsing amount of force to break it loose. Heat would have helped.

Trying to make things better can cause more problems. Change coolant a few times and leave the plugs in place is what I do. Who wants to strip or brake plugs trying to be complete? If you had removed them when the engine is new and put pipe dope on them may be a different story. Otherwise proceed at your own risk.

Trying to make things better can cause more problems. Change coolant a few times and leave the plugs in place is what I do. Who wants to strip or brake plugs trying to be complete? If you had removed them when the engine is new and put pipe dope on them may be a different story. Otherwise proceed at your own risk.

Agreed.

Back