• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 xj cherokee defrost door picture

The door is in the heater box itself. This is the only picture I have. If it helps, then great:

Thank you. The problem I'm having is that all doors seem to work correctly and all actuators are moving correctly BUT the top door which is identified in the FSM as the defrost door has what appears to be factory holes. The passenger side is larger than the driver's. The passenger side hole is about a quarter size and the drivers door is about a nickel. When the fan is on and the unit is set for all air out the front(called panel in FSM) quite a bit comes out the defroster. In Arizona that is a problem when 107. I'm trying to find out without taking the dash out if that is another Jeep design by dummies or if something else is wrong in there.

If the is no vacuum due to a leak, the flow director defaults to defrost and all the A/C or heat comes out there. If you have partial flow, I would suspect a small vacuum leak.

If the is no vacuum due to a leak, the flow director defaults to defrost and all the A/C or heat comes out there. If you have partial flow, I would suspect a small vacuum leak.

As I said
The problem I'm having is that all doors seem to work correctly and all actuators are moving correctly BUT the top door which is identified in the FSM as the defrost door has what appears to be factory holes.

The door is in the heater box itself. This is the only picture I have. If it helps, then great:

If you have the box in the picture could you actuate the defrost door mechanism and take a picture of the defrost door looking down into the box. That would let me know if the holes I have are standard and some defrost air is meant to blow through the door even when closed.

Too much coffee today ? Yes, there are two holes in the defrost door, the one closer to outer edge is about 1/2 inch, and the other one is about 3/4 inch.

Last edited:
Too much coffee today ? Yes, there are two holes in the defrost door, the one closer to outer edge is about 1/2 inch, and the other one is about 3/4 inch.

Thank you. That is what I wanted to know so that I knew the POS didn't somehow modify the door on my vehicle. Would you happen to know why Jeep put those holes in there since I would think? that on panel setting one would want all air to blow through the panel and none through the defrost or am I missing something else leaking in the demist/panel door?

This is the picture I took when I had the heater box out for evaporator change. I don't have anymore pictures that I could find. I don't know why the holes are there and don't quite understand why its a major issue to have some air out the defroster. If the system isn't cooling to your standards, I can tell you I don't think they ever were that great even when new. I've had my 01 since 2004 36,000 miles. My 97 seems to cool a bit better at stop lights because the fan always runs when the clutch is activated but it also has tinted windows and a different color. Around 00-01 they switched to a signaling the fan based on the high pressure switch.

It is a little more important in Tucson than Colorado but if that is factory as everything appears it is, I can consider other ways to block the defroster outlet. We don't use defroster much here.

Maybe the holes have something to do with the fact that when you have defrost set, a little air comes out the dash vents to blow on the side windows. Just a guess.

Windshields are prone to fogging up thanks to all that moist air you are breathing towards it constantly (ever breathe on a mirror?). The holes allow air to always be flowing over the inner windshield to help reduce fogging instances. In other cars where I can completely control air flow (no flow over the windshield) I have a greater instance of fogging/clouding of the windshield.

It is a little more important in Tucson than Colorado but if that is factory as everything appears it is, I can consider other ways to block the defroster outlet. We don't use defroster much here.

I bought mine in Reno and drove it home across the NV, CA, and AZ desert and ran it for years in hot, humid Tennessee before moving to Colorado. It would never freeze you "like a Cadillac".

Back