• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Could the rattle in my '96 be from the fuel pump?

greenlawnjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, my Jeep has developed a VERY annoying rattle which seems to be coming from the fuel tank area when I place my ear on the floor of the back deck. The rattle happens when you go over a rough road or bumps. I did a thorough check underneath and all appears tight. First I thought it would be shock mounts bot they are all secure as is the exhaust system. Thanks
Ps it has 115k miles FWIW.

Sound travels really well, and especially through metal.

Have you tried folding your back seat forward and seeing if the rattle goes away then? The seat latches have been one of my more interesting finds in the rattle department. And no, I haven't found a solution, but at least knowing it is a non-critical component I can add it to the list of noises I ignore.

Thanks for the reply. Rear seat was folded down, wife drove and I had my ear on the floor in the very rear back section. Sure did sound like it was coming directly below me. I've tugged and pulled at everything underneath and all is secure. While driving, it is a quite substantial rattle and amazing that I can't find it.

Heat shield over the exhaust?

Fuel filter bracket?

Fuel filler shield?

Leaf spring bushings?

Hatch latch?

Those are what come to mind. I can't imagine how the pump/sending unit assembly would make much of a rattle.

Sometimes the lower shackle bolt will hit the exhaust.
And I've seen where the exhaust hanger near the trans/cat will rattle against the crossmember.

There is a baffle/pan in the '96 tanks that is tack welded in two tiny spots. The pump has a lower stub that fits in a rubber cap that sits in a hole in the baffle to locate it correctly. Somehow my baffle got loose and then the pump ripped off the bracing arm(which the pump uses as a ground). High g's and gas sloshing around did mine in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all very much for your suggestions. I will revisit the situation in the next couple of days. FWIW, I think I will drop the gas tank skid plate. I will again check the exhaust hangers. The rear latch is OK.

Well, embarrased to say it was a worn top bushing in the passenger side rear shock. When I pushed up and down on the rear bumper, there was no noise. My cousin yesterday rocked the vehicle side to side by pulling on the roof rack and the noise appeared. I went under the jeep and grabbed/twisted the shock - the noise stopped. Thanks to all that replied.

Thank you for posting up the answer to the riddle.

Yeah! Before I drove over to my cousin, I taped down the heavy cables running thru the qtr panels to the tail lights, rubber isolated the plastic wire clip above the fuel filter, readjusted the exhaust and 2x checked the spare tire. But glad we finally diagnosed it. It didn't sound like it would be the shock.

Back