• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS test

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab56452001

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all , ive searched and received a few differing answers . I tested my TPS, 96 4.0 Auto, my results with my el cheapo DMM were 4.9 v input , 0.8 v at rest and 3.9 v at WOT , are these figures o'k' cheers.

I think those are OK for a 96. The real issue with a bad TPS can be a flat spot, or noisy spot where the voltage jumps around, instead of being smooth between .8 V amd 3.9 V. An old style high impedance volt meter is better suited to testing for that, but a DMM will work.

Just wondering , when at idle I change selector from neutral/park into or out of gear there is no blip in rpm , stays exactly the same , is this normal ?

The older jeeps give a change in rpm going into and out of gear, more noticeable if the idle RPM if is above oem spec. Not sure about 96 jeeps

You need to check those figures against the spec. in your Haynes or Chilton manual.
Sounds a little low, the tps should go as close to the reference voltage as possible @ WOT.
The test should be done w/ the engine off and the key on.

You need to check those figures against the spec. in your Haynes or Chilton manual.
Sounds a little low, the tps should go as close to the reference voltage as possible @ WOT.

No, at WOT it gets to somewhere around 83% (or 87%, I forget which it is) of the supplied voltage (you called it reverence voltage). I think the HO TPS can go as low as about 3.8 volts with a 5.0 voltage supply. There have been many threads here claiming the FSM says about 3.8 V at WOT is OK on the HO rigs.

Reference voltage.
And I want my tps sensors on 96' on vehicles to be as close to it as possible.
BTW that's why I told op to check it against the spec.
:roll:

And this is based on what ???

"the tps should go as close to the reference voltage as possible @ WOT."

There is no "SPEC" as in a set voltage or one target voltage, and the 91-01 TPS is not adjustable, but there is a range, large enough drive a mac truck through. The computer learns the range of the installed TPS and uses that range.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/jeep/4.0L/tps-multimeter-test-1

"As the throttle opens, the voltage numbers will increase. This increase in voltage should be smooth and without any gaps or skips. Once the throttle is wide open, your multimeter should read somewhere between 3.5 to 4.5 Volts DC."

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/jeep/4.0L/throttle-position-sensor-tests-1

As the throttle opens, the voltage numbers will increase. This increase in voltage should be smooth and without any gaps or skips. Once the throttle is wide open, your multimeter should read somewhere between 3.5 to 4.5 Volts DC.

That's pretty basic mike.
You dunno what reference voltage is, maybe don't comment on 96'+ vehicles.

That is not the problem, the problem is that we stick to commonly used lingo on NAXJA, and the common lingo terms used in the industry. Most people here are not EEs. So the common term is INPUT voltage to the TPS.. Most people here in this forum are still trying to figure out what a multi meter is.

I can say matter of factly Ecomike is right (and i hate to say that) and that Transpoquick is being a dick.

Both of you stop it.

I can say matter of factly Ecomike is right (and i hate to say that) and that Transpoquick is being a dick.

Both of you stop it.

Eye, eye captain!!!! ;)

holy crap that was a good writeup

Agreed. I was a bit shocked myself at the write up. Found it on a google search just now. I think it is very new, or the search engine finally mapped it. It would make a great FAQ here, as it covers how not to fry your PCM, etc while testing for the newbies. Very detailed. The best I have ever seen. I made me a pdf copy and saved it on my pc.

There is no "SPEC" as in a set voltage or one target voltage, and the 91-01 TPS is not adjustable, but there is a range, large enough drive a mac truck through. The computer learns the range of the installed TPS and uses that range.

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/jeep/4.0L/tps-multimeter-test-1

"As the throttle opens, the voltage numbers will increase. This increase in voltage should be smooth and without any gaps or skips. Once the throttle is wide open, your multimeter should read somewhere between 3.5 to 4.5 Volts DC."

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/jeep/4.0L/throttle-position-sensor-tests-1
Thanks heaps , a ton of helpful info there !
As the throttle opens, the voltage numbers will increase. This increase in voltage should be smooth and without any gaps or skips. Once the throttle is wide open, your multimeter should read somewhere between 3.5 to 4.5 Volts DC.

Getting ready to go at mine ('87) with a meter.

it covers how not to fry your PCM, etc while testing

Guess I better read it then. Can't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back