• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1985 battery drain-running lights head light switch

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
1985 Cherokee Pioneer, 2WD, Base modle.

I have isolated my remaining heavy battery drain problem to the running lights wiring ( I disconnected the other parts that are no longer used anyway), and when I disconnect the running lights power source wire at the battery I loose running lights, and I loose the short/load killing the battery.

But with it connected I have no running lights with the head light switch off, and they work with the HL switch on, for head lights or just running lights (which is normal). With the wire disconnected at the battery I have no running lights at all on any HL switch setting.

BUT!!!! The shorted load is less (or zero) with the HL switch on for running lights or head lights, than with it all the way off? In other words, The parasitic load killing the battery is largest with the head light switch off. I think the short is only when the head light switch is all the way off.

Could the head light switch be shorted out in the off position internally? I have never seen or heard of this, but maybe others have???

Other thoughts. This same wire/short was also activating two of the ancient (no longer used) Emission solenoid valves under the hood for the first time ever that I know of, which I disconnected from the harness. That dropped the parasitic load that was killing the battery overnight by a lot.

Back