• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

That XJ DEMON....rust

jpk

NAXJA Forum User
It appears somewhere back in time the last screws that hold down the rails for the top carrier allowed water to pass through the screw hole and caused some rust in those corners just above the rear windows over the rain gutter. I have removed the head liner to recover it so I now have access to those areas from inside as well as outside. Rather than do a clean out and fibreglas/bondo job I'm thinking of cutting those pieces out of a JY XJ and welding the parts onto mine. I have a friend that has a welder and it should be easy to cut out the damaged parts. My question is, is that over kill or would the FG/Bndo work just as well? I'm also thinking about POR 15. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Our boneyards out here don't allow power tools on the lot. I know rules in states differ, but ask them if a sawzall or grinder/cutoff (cordless or otherwise) is legit. Just mentioning it.

If not it may be a b**ch cutting pieces out. Other than that, and a skilled welder sounds feasible.

When you live in the north and drive old 4x4's... no such thing as overkill. My advice is to go for it. And when you replace the screws use loctite sealant so it wont leak again. However getting the parts you desire may be easier to get by buying a scrap complete vehicle

Our boneyards out here don't allow power tools on the lot. I know rules in states differ, but ask them if a sawzall or grinder/cutoff (cordless or otherwise) is legit. Just mentioning it.

If not it may be a b**ch cutting pieces out. Other than that, and a skilled welder sounds feasible.

I have taken a Sawzall into a PYP JY here in San Diego without issue.

I am sure it varies, but it might not be by state as much as it may be the policy of the individual yard.

Back