• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power to passenger side door speaker.

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my 97 has an aftermarket unit and the factory infinity sounds system. I did not bypass the infinity amp so the speaker in the door is still powered by it. Now I did the removable door mod so I installed some cheap speakers up under the dash and those speakers are tapped into the wires coming off the headunit. Both the door speaker that is power by the infinity amp and the second speakers tapped in behind the headunit have stopped working on the passenger side.

To test the circuit with my voltmeter what should I be reading on the circuit?

you say tapped in can you be a bit more specific what you used? Also you can set it to AC volts and check to see if the coils are getting power. You can do the same thing at the amp. just turn the vol. up and down to see if it's seeing the change

It is commonly known, and frequently posted, that wire harness issues in the XJ front doors and the tailgate are very common. The wire harness is subject to broken wires, failed wire splices, and chafed wire insulation, causing open circuits and/or short circuits. Basic problem solving should always begin with a physical inspection and continuity testing. Testing between the door wire ends and the body wire harness connector should determine if there are any open or shorted circuits near the door/tailgate hinges. You may have to expand the testing to include from the head unit to the door wire plugs.

Last edited:
you say tapped in can you be a bit more specific what you used? Also you can set it to AC volts and check to see if the coils are getting power. You can do the same thing at the amp. just turn the vol. up and down to see if it's seeing the change

Meaning I cut the wire a few inches from the back of the headhunt for the wire going to the passenger side door speaker I used a wire crimp and I stuck the end still on the head unit side and I stuck it in one side of the crimp and crimped it. The other end of the crimp I stuck in the factory wire in there along with another wire going to another speaker I was mounting on the under side of the dash for when the doors were off. I did this for both the positive and negative wires. Both that speaker and the one in the door have stopped working.

This is why I know that the cut wire in the boot in the door jam is not cut. I have made that repair on the driver door before and that was the first thing I checked for on the passenger door. The speaker tapped in just off the radio and the one in the door have stopped working. If the wire was broken in the door jam the door speaker would stop working but the one under the dash would still be working.

Back