• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 Cherokee Tranny Service Help??

pancake

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Folks,

So I called the Jeep dealership about having my tranny flushed (AW4 I think, 4spd auto with 4.0) and they quoted me ~$100 for the job. I asked what they did, and they said that all they do is empty the fluid, pour in new stuff, and flush the old out. They don't even drop the oil pan and replace the filter because it has a metal screen that doesn't need service. ???

I have never taken my vehicles to be worked on, I like doing ALL my own stuff. However, I have never tried an auto tranny, and I was thinking it would be good for Jeep to look over the Cherokee. I bought it used a week ago, 132k miles, and I'm just trying to get it in perfect shape. :)

If it's just a drain and flush, I could easily (I think) do that myself for a lot less $$. Shouldn't the screen be inspected or replaced? I don't know how well this Jeep has been maintained, so I want the best. Could you folks help me out with some advice?

On a side note...should I install a tranny cooler? If so, which one? I will use the vehicle mostly for commute and Tahoe (ski country) duty, but I would like to take it to the trails once in a while also. In the future it might be used for some light - medium towing also.

Thanks so much!!!

Tranny transfusions are all the rage. They claim that they flush out the bad stuff better than a simple change like the old days.

I don't know who to believe. I tend to think either works fine... My anal retentive plan is to do the transfusion and then replace the filter. That's the only way I can be sure! Those little magnets at the bottom of the AW-4 pan collect any metal that might be rolling around in there. I like to clean them off and wipe down the pan when I do the change- something that won't get done with the transfusion. Laugh if you like... I also change the synthetic oil in my XJ every 3k.

When you drain the 1.5 quarts out of the pan and change the filter screen that, if is plugged up it must have been used in two different burned up tranny's, and then replaced the 1.5 quarts with new, what do you think the other 1.5 gallons of dirty ATF is going to do to all that new stuff. Yeah!!!!

The "FLUSH" is not exactly that. It is more a complete drain and refill. Using the trans coolant lines(connected in series to the machine), the transmission pushes the old fluid out and that action forces new fluid from the machine into your tranny. The machine also has an eyeglass which tells the operator that when the fluid is the correct color it is "flushed" and a nice guy will let it run another minute just in case.

Some BG style flushing systems use an additive before to release gums and varnishes and a conditioner after the flush. I use the BG system because it has not ever givin me any problems.

Yes get a trans cooler. The biggest you can fit and afford. The trans can never be too cool. I used a heavy duty universal from AutoZone and my fluid stays red much longer...................

pancake said:
So I called the Jeep dealership about having my tranny flushed (AW4 I think, 4spd auto with 4.0) and they quoted me ~$100 for the job. I asked what they did, and they said that all they do is empty the fluid, pour in new stuff, and flush the old out. They don't even drop the oil pan and replace the filter because it has a metal screen that doesn't need service. ???

I had my AW4 4spd auto fluid "flushed" or more appropriately "evacuated" at 120K miles----I highly recommend this because it pulls that old fluid out of the converter. It seemed to help the torque converter lockup mode. I paid $100 for this evacuation .... they get $120 now.

Before this I had the tranny fluid "drained" and "serviced" every 20K miles. Keep in mind there is really nothing to service or adjust except for the simple cable adjustment on the throttle body---the dealer charged $70 for this and usually screwed up the adjustment on the TB.

The key words are "drained" or "evacuated" ... I would confirm before paying them $100.

Still Confused??

So, I'm still a little confused about this. I would prefer to do the flush myself, but it sounds like a messy job and might be easier to just take the Jeep to the dealer. My main concerns are:

1. I would prefer to install the tranny cooler before getting the system flushed, so are there any kits you folks recommend?

2. Should I worry that the dealer won't be removing the oil pan and cleaning / inspecting / replacing the screen? Isn't there some buildup on the bottom of the oil pan that needs to be cleaned up?

3. How hard is the tranny cooler install?

I'm just trying to do the best for a nice Jeep with 132k miles. All other work is being done by me, but I have no experiene with auto tranny stuff.

Thanks for all the responses...

You might want to do the flush first - when you add the cooler first you will put in a quart or two that will just get thrown away, and possibly trap sediment in the cooler.

Cooler installations are easy compared to changing out the front crank seal - the hardest part is working behind the grille to mount the cooler. Hookup with lines, fittings and hose clamps to lengthen the existing ones. Instructions will be included.

Cleaning out the tranny consists of dropping the pan, simple enough to change out the gasket, and clean up. Button up, run the trans output line through a extension hose to a bucket marked in quarts. Add some new, start the engine, watch the bucket, and add slowly to keep it replenished. Keep going until the fluid looks as good coming out as what you put in, or it starts running over. There are lots of places to return the oil for recycling.

I found this on the Allpar Eek! site. Good stuff there.

Check with the Dealer for the Aux cooler used in the tow package,while it is smaller than most after market coolers it will fit and comes with the lines and fittings to plug right in the system.
Several years ago I paid $60 for the cooler on my 96 .
Wayne

Strange thing is that...

This past weekend I looked under the Jeep, and there is a tranny cooler in front of the radiator (I think, looks like the lines go there) and it's about the same size as the radiator, only much thinner. Is this an OEM tranny cooler? If so, I don't need another one right?

That may be the AC condenser ? Tranny cooler on the 96 is appx 14"x3"x7/8"
centered in the lower half or the rad.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
That may be the AC condenser ? Tranny cooler on the 96 is appx 14"x3"x7/8"
centered in the lower half or the rad.
Wayne

So, is the tranny cooler stock for all models? Is it part of the radiator or a seperate unit? Is this good enough?

Back