• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 keeps popping fuse #11 NEED HELP!!!

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my 97 XJ keeps popping fuse #11 in the fuse panel inside the cab. The fuse is for the ignition run/start. Well this fuse pops and the Jeep dies instantly. The worst part is this happens when I turn left to cross traffic in a hurry so this is a major safety hazard!!!! I am afraid that one day I won't make it across and I will be hit and my Jeep totalled.

I have been thinking there is probably a short somewhere and when I stomp the gas to turn left from a dead stop, something twists, clearly, and agitates the short. But I have no idea where to start looking! Please someone help so my Jeep, and possibly myself, doesn't meet its demise one day here soon.

Seems to be a reasonable assumption that there is a short. You can see what F11 protects in the diagram below.

Examine the wire harness loom that goes across the firewall at the end of the fuel rail. There have been cases where the end of the fuel rail penetrates the loom to the wires within when turning the Jeep and causes engine movement. See pics.

Obviously check other spots in the wire harnesses for chafing.

Check security of the engine mount bolts and the bell housing to engine bolts. Loose or missing bolts may aggravate movement and harness penetration.

fuse20panel20pic20and20description2097-01-1.jpg

1%20Fuel%20Rail%20Cut.jpg

2%20Fuel%20Rail%20Cut.jpg

Seems to be a reasonable assumption that there is a short. You can see what F11 protects in the diagram below.

Examine the wire harness loom that goes across the firewall at the end of the fuel rail. There have been cases where the end of the fuel rail penetrates the loom to the wires within when turning the Jeep and causes engine movement. See pics.

Obviously check other spots in the wire harnesses for chafing.

Check security of the engine mount bolts and the bell housing to engine bolts. Loose or missing bolts may aggravate movement and harness penetration.

fuse20panel20pic20and20description2097-01-1.jpg

1%20Fuel%20Rail%20Cut.jpg

2%20Fuel%20Rail%20Cut.jpg

Thank you for posting the picture! I went and looked and the harness was resting on the end of the fuel rail. I peeled back the loom and there appears to be a blue wire in there that has had the insulation rubbed off of it and I bet that is my problem. I am at work so this will be something I will have to look into at home. But for now that section of the wire loom has crack in two different places so I was able to rotate it around to protect that wire until I can get to it. Before I make the repair I am going to turn the Jeep on and touch that wire to the fuel rail to see if that short shuts down the engine to see if it is indeed the problem.

Thank you for posting the picture! I went and looked and the harness was resting on the end of the fuel rail. I peeled back the loom and there appears to be a blue wire in there that has had the insulation rubbed off of it and I bet that is my problem. I am at work so this will be something I will have to look into at home. But for now that section of the wire loom has crack in two different places so I was able to rotate it around to protect that wire until I can get to it. Before I make the repair I am going to turn the Jeep on and touch that wire to the fuel rail to see if that short shuts down the engine to see if it is indeed the problem.[/QUOTE]

That may be the Dark Blue/White tracer wire that goes from F11 in the JB to the relay control coils of the ASD and Fuel Pump relays, and to the PCM. More than likely its the one to the PCM.

I wouldn't mess around trying to make it screw up. The PCM is very sensitive to voltage spikes, etc.

Edit: Verify you don't have any missing or loose engine mount bolts or bell housing to engine mount bolts.

This is the exact same thing that happened to me 2 years ago. The wire was shorting out against the fuel rail and killing the fuel pump fuse. As soon as i fixed the wire it was good and has been since. Just make sure the wire harness is all tied up and not resting on the motor and you should be good.

Back