• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilt 4.0L in my 91 XJ wont start now

WillCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
So I just finished the rebuild and install of my "new to me" engine. Everything is back in place. It turns over perfectly fine but it won't fire at all. It's getting fuel, and spark and I believe it to be in time...can you Jeep veterans assist me with this dilemma....anything will help.

There are only a few things that can cause this. If you have a spark, then it is probably not the CPS.

The most likely thing is that you have the distributor set 180 degrees out and not at TDC.

If you have fuel pressure, you should use a noid light and see if the injectors are getting the required pulses to deliver the fuel. I would not expect this because for it to not start, pretty much all the injectors would have to be failing. A quick shot of carb cleaner down the throttle body while cranking will tell you if it is lacking fuel.

Back