• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 Cherokee Front Inner Axle Seals

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible for a death wobble to ruin inner axle seals? Also can the inner seals be removed and installed without special tools. The factory manual list and shows special tools especially for installing them. What aobut getting the carrier out do I need to get ahold of a case spreader. This is a new repair to this old man.
Thanks,
Bill

I am amazed inner axle seals work as well as they do, anythings possible.

You can try using a long wooden dowel to push the old ones out, but you will need something round, relatively close to the outside diameter of the inner seals to push the new ones in without damaging them. Buy 3 instead of two, incase you damage one.

Your d30, if its oem gearing, is probably pretty loose at the carrier. Use a open end wrench on one ring gear bolt radially, rotate it against the case, then pry at the other end, should come out relatively easy. You can also put a rag between the ring and pinion, and rotate the yoke, if its loose enough, itll drive the carrier up. No case spreader required, unless someone setup your diff particularly tight.

Liberally lube the new ones with a premium grease after installation, and clean and lube the shafts where they ride as well.
Hope this helps.

That's like My Grandpa use to say: "I don't know if it hurt's it, but it sure didn't help it".
Anyway, from what I've read on this website a 4' long piece of 3/4" pipe inserted through the wheel end and a few taps will remove them.
They go in from the inside, so use the same pipe from the opposite side and a large socket(33mm from what I read) to drive them back in.
I would fix the DW first though because the shaking could cause the fluid to leak out.
W/O the whole how many miles are on it? and stuff like that, that's all the info I can offer.
From what I understand though you use a length of pipe to drive them out, and then go in from the opposite side to put them back in.
Your carrier will probably fall out, so be ready to catch it and put all the parts back in where they came from.
Sheez, I can't believe nobody would answer this post, I read it yesterday.
They didn't even do the "why don't I google that for you".
Hope it helps, best luck!

Once you have the carrier out, you could just use the socket (or puck) and a small hammer to tap them in.

Dont forget rtv (between the housing and the seal)

That's like My Grandpa use to say: "I don't know if it hurt's it, but it sure didn't help it".
Anyway, from what I've read on this website a 4' long piece of 3/4" pipe inserted through the wheel end and a few taps will remove them.
They go in from the inside, so use the same pipe from the opposite side and a large socket(33mm from what I read) to drive them back in.
I would fix the DW first though because the shaking could cause the fluid to leak out.
W/O the whole how many miles are on it? and stuff like that, that's all the info I can offer.
From what I understand though you use a length of pipe to drive them out, and then go in from the opposite side to put them back in.
Your carrier will probably fall out, so be ready to catch it and put all the parts back in where they came from.
Sheez, I can't believe nobody would answer this post, I read it yesterday.
They didn't even do the "why don't I google that for you".
Hope it helps, best luck!

It looks like the seals may be good. It was just some grease and a little oil from my engine leak and dirt that made it look like it was leaking. As far as the DW. I've looked at all the normal wear points and checked the best I could. Couldn't find any excessive play. I did replace the damper as when I pulled it off there was no resistance, what so ever in either direction. The death wobble only happened ocasionaly, especially one bad site of train tracks if hit just right at 55 to 60 mph. The other was a section of one road where it had some really nasty pot holes ony on the passenger side of the vehicle. The Cherokee has about 188000 miles.

Sounds like my 2k XJ, before I lifted it, sound's strange but.
The particular stretch of road ring's true, I had that same symptom except it was around a curve at 55mph coming to a stop for a light.
IMO dw is like a lot of problems w/ "machines", it's a combination of problems.
I can't pin it on: a loose track bar, worn tie rod ends, bad ball joints, worn tires, worn brakes, worn sway bar, worn steering box or a bad drag link sheez the axle bushing's could be worn maybe the frame is bent.
Idk, but I think it's a combination of problems and....
It's probably a jeep thing.
Bwah!

Back