• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wet Drivers side floor

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I was finishing up my front axle swap this weekend, and decided to pull the drivers side seat so I could access the firewall easier. I was very surprised when I found the carpet soaking wet. There was some rust on the floor pan, but it was still solid so I cleaned it up and treated it with POR. Is there a common spot where water leaks into the cab and the floor? The rest of the body is very solid and the passenger side appears to be dry. Seems like the likely suspect may be the harness grommet but it seems tight and in order. Are there any other spots I should look at? Id like to have it sealed up completely before I lay the carpet back down and bolt the seat back up. BTW, it s a 99, auto, sport.

Windows not totally closed or worn seals. Firewall.

Water can leak in one spot and wander to other areas giving a false sensor of the likely source. I find a garden hose is a great fast way to find the leak source.

I'm fairly sure its not the window, its been under a cover for the last week while I've been doing work. Pretty sure that water has been sitting there for a while. On my 88, I chased that leak forever and it turned out to be the fusebox. I know I have some investigative work to do, but I was looking for high suspect areas.

Dry, cracked factory-painted caulk in the very corners and the ends of the firewall shelf. Scrape away old and squeeze in new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I remember hearing about those corners, I'm gonna have to look at it closer. Thanks, that's exactly the type of suggestion I was looking for!

My passenger side water leak in my '00 I tracked down to the windshield. Small section just to the left of the passenger side visor is where it was dripping out of.

My latest update. Had some heavy rain last night. I have a temp awning over the nose, while I was working on the front end during rain and heavy sun. It just covers the nose, from the front fenders forward. I checked this morning, and the floor was still bone dry. I am reasonably sure, that the leak was inside the engine compartment. Those areas in the corners of the firewall had very little sealer left, so I went over both sides, and followed it up with some leak seal. Also, went all the way around any firewall grommets. Fingers crossed... Thanks for the suggestions about those corners, I never would have considered those!

Back