• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reaching 2001xj torque converter bolts?

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
Any tips? Crazy cat's under the intake on my daughters 01 2wd seem like they'll be in the way. First time I've encountered them.
Swapping in 98 aw4/231 next weekend.

Or can I leave the torque converter on the flywheel? I have a great transmission jack that might let me line it up right going back in. Never thought about doing it that way.

The mini-cats shouldn't be a problem.
Once the inspection cover is removed, the flex plate bolts are accessible, the engine does need to be rotated.
Use a socket and breaker bar, on the harmonic balancer's bolt or a remote starter button, to bump the engine.
Do leave the torque converter connected to the trans, so the front seal doesn't get damaged.

Get a bolt to about 4:30 if your looking toward the back, put a 15mm and a long extension and back it off with an impact wrench. Rotate the flex plate counter clockwise with a flat head screwdriver below the starter using the dust cover for leverage. Disconnect the battery just in case.

Thanks all. I've done plenty of older xj's, swapping transmissions, but these crazy cats through me for a loop. Got to get here done next weekend so I can get onto the next project, fixing the brakes on my trail xj. Then getting my tow rig project near the shop. Its going to be a long hot summer.

2536538d3dab9198cc2b867af4e6bfcd.jpg
4642038f27a0d29eeb693452c9983378.jpg

Just to be clear, that's the exhaust that looks like its in the way of me reaching the torque converter bolts but I should be able to reach them without removing them?

Last edited:
The inspection cover at the bottom of the trans needs removed. After its removed, rotate the engine clockwise when you are looking at the front of the motor. You can either turn the motor with a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt or turn the flywheel with either a flathead using the bell housing as mentioned above or if you have a large spanner wrench, that works pretty well too. In the past I've used a box wrench on the torque converter to fly wheel bolt until I have access to 2 bolts at once and then I use the second bolt to turn the flywheel. It's tricky but it works

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Since I have the starter removed, I've been able to reach through the hole, over the flexplate and turn the torque converter to line up the first bolt hole. Once you stab that bolt in, it'll pull the torque converter into place and get that bolt in, you're good.

Then just rotate the engine clockwise, slowly, to the next hole. they'll all be lined up. I use a flat box end wrench to tighten them with a block shoved in to the starter hole.

So far so good. Reached the torque converter bolts from straight below. 2wd trans out and 4wd ready to roll under in the am.
34818b3a78918015a4f07152f7c4a543.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Done.
51f14cf89c4de8928c61320035b95f7f.jpg

Just need to adjust tcase shifter and lengthen speed sensor wiring.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Back