• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stumped on engine issue and I've been searching

cardinal

NAXJA Forum User
92 Xj, it is throwing codes 22 and 35 consistently but has also thrown codes for map sensor and o2. It all started this past weekend while wheeling, jeep sat for a few weeks while I was rebuilding my broken Dana 300. I have changed out my map and temp sensors with trail spares. Checked all +/- connections and fuses. Idle is a little jumpy And it seems to run shitty on its side (never has for the last 4 years). This is a trailered buggy so I can't street test these issues. Is it a possible computer failure.?

Might check the harness too. It's 20 years old. See if the grounds look ok
Maybe wiggle the plugs or wiring around and see if it changes anything.

Those are cooling related codes right? Strange.
Maybe it is the computer, I have spares to test stuff like this but it's almost never is the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to put a ohmmeter on the circuits between the sensor and the pcm. Then wiggle the harness and watch for opens or high resistance.

Please elaborate?

"between the sensor and the pcm"

Code 22 is a problem with the camshaft sensor that is in the distributor on XJs, 87-2000. It causes a retarded firing sequence.

There is no 035 code for our jeeps as they do not have stock turbochagers.

0036 is a bad O2 sensor heater, shorted wire or heater power relay to the O2 sensor.

Recheck the codes please.

Check for a loose vacuum hose at the throttle body that goes to the MAP sensor.
Check the wiring to the O2 sensor to see if it got burned of damaged by the driveshaft or exhaust manifold.

Both are common and make the engine run very poorly.

Back