• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to tow a 4wd XJ on a tow dolly?

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I assume front wheels on the dolly, rear wheels on the ground?

Then the transmission in park?

And the Transfer case in Neutral?

Any tricks to putting the transfer case in neutral first?

Engine off or running with switching to neutral?

Thanks

If you put the transfer case neutral does it matter which end is on the dolly? Or if there's a dolly? I don't think it matters if it's running or not but ive always run it then put the transfer case in neutral . You should be able to tell by rolling it. But then I was moving a 5 speed do neutral was easy to be sure of.

Some just pull the rear drive shaft.

People I knew who towed their Cherokee behind their camper used to put it in neutral with the transfer case only

When towing in junk cars we used to put the drive wheels on the stinger/lifted up. One time we had a guy tow in a rear wheel drive car he thought was front wheel and killed the transmission. He also forgot the transmission was electronic so just shifting to neutral didn't do anything with no power .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the owner's manual for the recommendations for your specific vehicle

If rear wheels are on the ground you need to put the transfer case in neutral so that it doesn't turn the transmission. Transfer case pump is attached to the rear output, so if the rear wheels are turning then the fluid will circulate alright. Put transmission in neutral to release the driveline tension, then put transfer case in neutral, then put transmission into Park so you prevent it from turning with sympathetic drag.

If the front wheels are off the ground, you want to lock the steering column. If the front wheels are on the ground, you want to unlock the steering column but use something like bungie cords to make the steering wheel return to center

You don't mention what transfer case you have. That matters a bunch.

Putting a NP231 in neutral is actually the wrong thing to do. At least on the earlier ones, in neutral, the front and rear outputs are connected together. When I towed mine, I dropped the rear shaft. Later when I got front hubs, for short trips I would put it in neutral and lock out the hubs.

Otherwise, I would recommend putting the TC in 2wd and putting the rear wheels on the dolly instead of the fronts.

Don't know yet, 1991, lifted rig a doctor friend bought. Plans to tow to my house so I can try to get it ready for an inspection, Its been an off road rig for a while, with no reg sticker.

No owners manual. Owner will try and get the NP # for me of the TC.

BTW, I have an 89 with I think an NP231, I need to tow by or on Monday too.

Great feedback, keep it coming please.

Otherwise, I would recommend putting the TC in 2wd and putting the rear wheels on the dolly instead of the fronts.

Thinking about it, that makes sense as the front wheels turn while in motion with the rig in 2WD already!!!! Then no need to dork with the drive shaft. Where do you attach the bungie cords for the unlocked steering wheel, the left and right door handles?

Back