• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It's time to play, name that sound!

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
Listen past the engine noise to the not quite clicking, not quite gurgling, and not quite knocking sound.

https://clyp.it/rbptr0zn

It is most prominent when I am on an incline and it speeds up with higher RPMs.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a rattling, loose piece of sheet metal, like an exhaust bracket for instance? Check near the fans, shrouds, check the harmonic balancer for rubber guts comming loose and slapping other belt driven stuff, check the exhaust system and loose sheet metal parts.

Sounds like a rattling, loose piece of sheet metal, like an exhaust bracket for instance? Check near the fans, shrouds, check the harmonic balancer for rubber guts comming loose and slapping other belt driven stuff, check the exhaust system and loose sheet metal parts. Check the drive shafts too for any Kligons LOL

Sounds kind of like mine did when Pass. side motor mount block bracket sheared and the fan was dinging the crossmember from the motor sagging to the right. Drove the Barlow Trail a whole day with it almost overheating. Every time on a hill when I accelerated it sounded like that but faster.
Check the bracket mounted to the block's bolts. 3 or four on each side and see if they've sheared.

Motor mount went out with a rattling sound hard to place , replaced all the mounts and it went away. But so many things can cause a rattling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd check to see if the scariest hanger didn't break at the cross member or is sagging. When i did my exhaust I bent the hanger somehow and now my pipe rattles agenst the cross member. I'd also check the rest of the exhaust for the rattle. Many the cross pipe hitting the edge of the bell housing? ( kinda doubt it though)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this is at idle, and it turns into a vibration/hum/grind when revved, it's the exhaust on the cross member. IMO.

If this is at idle and increases with acceleration, it could be a cracked fan shroud, or a loose shroud, hitting the fan. Turn the engine off and see how much you can move the shroud....did I say engine OFF. Not worth losing a finger.

If your A/C is on...or blower motor, it could be the squirrel cage bearing, allowing the cage to wobble and contact the sidewalls inside the blower area.

This doesn't sound like engine, tranny or t- case noise to me, it sounds like some accessory part out of whack and intermittently contacting either a rotating or vibrating piece.

I would climb under and start pushing and pulling on sheet metal, exhaust pipes, checking pipe clearance at the cross member, hoses or hard lines.
contacting moving parts. This could be something super simple.

Or it could be a water pump bearing, check the weep hole for leaks.

Back