• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this XJ worth $2500?

argetni

NAXJA Forum User
1998 Limited

NO CEL

Only area of rust is drivers rocker
Has a ton of acorn dents on hood and roof

Interior is clean, leather not cracked, headliner good, steering wheel peeling but thats common
mopar tow hitch, only used for thule bike rack (included)
Power windows all work
Drivers speaker is out
Hatch struts are bad

Acceleration felt a bit weak compared to my 1999, I am thinking kick down cable or TPS sensor.
Oil pressure good
no overheatin
AC blows cold
New battery and brake job

Debating hard on it, I sold my 99 and want another XJ bad.
XJ by vdub 18t, on Flickr

Rocker by vdub 18t, on Flickr

Inside by vdub 18t, on Flickr

Around my area in long Island, that sound be a good deal. These go for 3500 to 4k every day. I would consider it. If the rockers are bad make sure you check the floorboards too because rust will hide under undercoating especially. Since you previously owned an xj you know the obvious things.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

The rockers are rusted, not good on a xj.
I paid $4995 for my 2k, no rust in the rockers or floor pans but there were some small spots to clean up.
If your going to chop it up and wheel it, well sure.
But if your looking for anything else, no deal.
Even if I was going to wheel it, 2k tops if I really wanted it.

I looked at a WJ that was a screaming deal. Had small rust on the rockers like the pics. I crawled under and found it was rotting out and was able to poke holes through places. The owner was getting mad and yelled at me to stop making it worse.

I would check under there very carefully for more rust and if I saw too much I'd pass no matter the cost.

I would not sell my 85, 87 or 89 DDs for less than $4000. Friend of mine just bought a 91 for $4500 (Is lifted with a large wench), but no parking brakes, turn signals or stickers, off road only.

I have another work project that is an 89 that has rockers on both sides that are 50% gone to rust. Floor pans seem OK. The rest of the jeep is in decent shape. But I do not live in the rust belt. I got a steal on it, $450, needed AC and brake work, and turned out to need a front drive shaft bearing on the passenger side, and now, recently a fuel pump.

Really depends on location, what is available, etc. If it has survived 18 years in the rust belt and that is all the rust it has, it may be a reasonable price up there?

My personal opinion on rusted XJ's is no way. I bought a 01 for 2k upon first glance only some minor rust on the roof and bottom of the door. Once I started getting in to it, regretted it and sold it kept my 93. If it is already that bad on the rocker there is going to be more hiding. For the price it's not terrible, but I would say 2k tops.

My personal opinion on rusted XJ's is no way. I bought a 01 for 2k upon first glance only some minor rust on the roof and bottom of the door. Once I started getting in to it, regretted it and sold it kept my 93. If it is already that bad on the rocker there is going to be more hiding. For the price it's not terrible, but I would say 2k tops.

I bought an 89 that has terrible rust-cancer on the rocker and bottom of the driver's door, but rust free every where else.

Back