• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Push Rods and Rocker Arm uninstall/install

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 xj with the 4.0. I am going to be replacing the head gasket as it has blown. I am trying to plan the job in front of me before I do it but I dont quite understand how to remove and reinstall the rocker arms and push rods. The service manual talks about an air compressor...? I have never been told by a jeeper id need anything like that. It also talks about some kind of lubrication for the push rods upon reinstalling them. What kind of lubrication is it? All help will be appreciated

The air compressor is good for blowing out all the oil passages and making sure they are clear. Assembly lube is what you are looking for. You can find it in any auto parts store and even walmart.

Just one bolt to remove the rocker arm, and then the push rod lifts right out. Grab a scrap box and put holes in it to hold the rods in order and in place and number them. Do something similar to the rockers so you can return each part exactly where it came from. Put the assy lube on all the metal to metal moving contact points.

Back