• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grease fitting issues - TRE

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I replaced the tie rod yesterday with an OEM one from RockAuto. When I went to install the grease fitting, they had cut the hole to large for a 1/4 threaded nipple and too small for an 8mm nipple.

I tried putting it in with JB Weld and with a gasket maker, hoping it would hold, but nope.

I can't figure out how to fill the TRE boot with grease. I can't replace the track bar because I leave for the Crawl in less than 48 hours.

Thoughts?

7mm?

Perhaps try again with a slightly harder mix of JB Weld, firstly cleaning hole, and nip threads with alcohol/Q-tips, and very carefully pump grease after cure time. IF that fails again, at least you have a nip in your pump nozzle end in which to 'try' to get as much grease into unit as possible, then wrap cleaned area with strips of 100 mile tape, and string, or wire over that.

If 7mm is unavailable perhaps just go to NAPA, or some such, and get a generic piece, and send back problem piece to RockAuto for replacement, or refund.

Scratching my head on this one, but then I have not had my second cup of coffee yet, but figured that someone ought to give some sort of imput.

Happy Trails one way, or another.

If it is too small for an 8mm, carefully drill the hole a bit bigger.

Whitworth?
:roflmao:

Maybe BPT?

Not helpful, I know; just couldn't resist.

I thought about that. I had a spare drag link in he garage so I just tossed that on last night. All good now.

Back