• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheated & boiled over

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
Jeepers on the way up to a trail I was stopped by a check guages light. The A/C was on the whole way up. I looked at my temp guage and it was 3/4 up to max maybe 240 F.

I pulled over let it boil over ( engine off of course) and cool for 45 minutes. I headed back down the mountain and it barley went above 210. This time the A/C was off and windows down.

I keep hearing a cazoo type noise randomly and i think its maybe the electric fan
dying. Recently this past couple weeks leaving work at night ac on before starting, I hear a squeal until i shut off the a/c (again i think the electric fan).

Also while pulled over and my jeep boiling over i was able to google checking the mechanical fan clutch. Engine off I was able to rotate the fan as much as i wanted. Are Both fans toast ! ?

please read Sharp Squeal on the oem thread as going home i was alerted to other unrelated problems.

Sounds like the belt is loose.
Put a 180 thermostat in it, verify both the fans work.
If it still boils, something else is wrong.
50/50 prestone boils at 265, whew! that's hot.
A/C on?

I cant confirm what coolant was used for the heater core replacement this fall but it is green/ yellow like is should be. Its very clean and i havent lost a drop until now.

What else would possible cause this issue other than bad fans. The Electric fan ive read isnt enough to cause over heating. what about the fan clutch?

this is my DD and only ride so thank you all for any help you can give!

well not much help on here, but if someone is reading this ive replaced the electric fan and the mechanical fan clutch. I went for a test drive up to the same trail and it didnt boil over, but it did go above 210. I checked my oil level and it was at add.

Other than a faulty temperature sensor or the radiator cap im at a loss for the high temp. Its only hot going when i travel into the mountains. Typically the engine is working harder going up hill. Down hill its stays cool.....:dunno: I can drive around town all day and never see a difference.

I tried driving with the ac on and off thinking maybe a pulley seized or the ac clutch was gone but everything seems to be working.

Do you have a fan shroud over the mechanical fan? And I'd checked the radiator cap as it should be 16lbs rating, hopefully someone can chime in and confirm that. Also what's your tire size to gear ratio? That can put strain causing higher heat

Is your transmission overheating? If you have a transmission cooler in the radiator, it could be adding too much heat and not allowing the engine coolant to cool effectively. I get similar issues with the temp creeping up still but only on long grades unless I throw it in 4L and then the temp stabilizes. Sooner or later, I'll end up putting an aux trans cooler and gauge in before the radiator in the hopes it will take some of the work off the stock cooling system.

The fan shroud was on the mechanical fan before i replaced the fan clutch. It broke during reassembly so a new shroud is on its way. Im running 3.73 gears and 31" tires. I used to have 32's and never had and issue with high temps.

But it overheated before I broke the shroud

Yes, but you replaced the clutch after it overheated but removed the shroud which may have made it worse than before you replaced what I assume was bad clutch?

Fair enough, the clutch didn't seem as bad as I hope. 170000 odo and I kill the engine and the fan stopped quickly. It's worth replacing any way and so I did. Perhaps the shroud will help but in not convinced haha.

One of the most common problems and cheapest to fix is a worn out radiator cap. You should replace them every two years.

update radiator cap has been replaced. On a hot day the gauge reads consistently the mark above 210. it will cool to 210 occasionally a/c vs throttle doesnt seem to matter. Is this the sign of a temperature sensor faulting or is the engine really running hot? what else can i address to fix this?

Have you gotten the shroud yet?
Use a infrared temp gun and point it at the thermostat housing or radiator to get a feeler on temp

demonoied i tried getting a local shroud with no luck, looks like itll have to be ordered. I may try the temp gun if its not to costly. The cooling system is new so ive approached to what hasnt been replaced. so far the sensor is the only stock piece but its not fluctuating or acting to a degree one would normally think its malfunctioning. ill keep updated once the shroud is in place!

The shroud could be the problem, but it might be the radiator. Did you ever overheat before the cooling system replace 2 years ago? If not, what radiator did you put in...after market or OEM?

With no shroud she'll run hot. The original overheating was likely due to a failing fan clutch. That was fix and rather than overheating, it now just runs a little hot, that'll be the missing shroud.
The XJ's cooling system runs on a fine line, if something isn't working right, Temps start to rise.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The radiator is a csf oe replacement 2 row I believe. I never had heat issues until this summer. So far it's only 90+ days that it's really getting to the bar above 210. I still need the shroud. Which broke a few weeks ago when I put the new fan clutch in.

Yeah, demonioed is right about everything needing to be in place. 25 years of XJs and yearly desert trips. I only overheated after I got a 3 row copper/brass all metal replacement. As soon as I went back to OEM 2 row aluminum with plastic tanks, everything worked right.

Back