• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sharp Squeal

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
I have a sharp squeal/chirp from my front end. I replaced drag link and tie rod a couple months ago and in so doing i did the usual wiggle test with the tire to see if I could notice any ball joint play. Nada....

I just boiled over in the mountains and have some heating issues im battling as of today.
It wasnt until my way home with a/c off and windows down that I heard these sharp squeals turning left and right down the canyon. Going straight I can hear faint rotational noise, and all of this is either heard between 30-50mph or very slow when turning to park.

I dont know what to look at and I dont have a wide enough garage to pull axles.

Dang it i didnt even make it to the trail head lol :(

Start with the simple stuff. Is your serpentine belt adjusted properly? When you're going slow, turning, there is extra strain on you power steering pump...and subsequently, your belt. Could also be an idler pulley, power steering pump, harmonic balancer etc.

Before I contemplated "pulling axles", I'd do some troubleshooting in the driveway.

Check the brake pads for uneven wear.

ill check breaks tomorrow however this sound is heard low, not from the engine bay. Ill check the belt anyway ,but im not keen on the sound being from this area. pullleys and or power steering pump shouldnt be heard from both side of the vehicle right...

Any other ideas of ball joints failling or unit bearings?

Start with the simple stuff. Is your serpentine belt adjusted properly? When you're going slow, turning, there is extra strain on you power steering pump...and subsequently, your belt. Could also be an idler pulley, power steering pump, harmonic balancer etc.

Before I contemplated "pulling axles", I'd do some troubleshooting in the driveway.

X2

Slow Leaking water pump on the belt even. Sequels and chirps are usually something to do with the belt or stuff in contact with the belt, or E-fan.

Unit bearings...

Where in Colorado do you live?

Hey, just a thought...take off a wheel and see if there is a piece...or pieces of gravel stuck between your brake disc and the dust guard...stranger things have happened.

While you're under there, take a good flashlight and turn some wheels, u-joints, check your harmonic balancer...

And lastly, put a piece of hose to your ear and the distributor...can't hurt.

hypoid im in foco, And this last wheeling run i notice that i get more noise after having gone wheeling. maybe because everything is loosened and heated up.

Any way the squeals are sounding very much in tune with the revolution of the tires. I dont believe this to be a pulley nor centering ball (though i cant be 100% for the ball) the sounds ive searched on youtube are not similar.

oddly the noise is consistent after wheeling, not junk caught between brakes but something is rubbing wrong.

4x4JeePmaNthINg said:
hypoid im in foco
I was going to offer to look at it, but Golden is about an hour away. Post in the Colorado Chapter, maybe someone closer to you can help.

4x4JeePmaNthINg said:
i notice that i get more noise after having gone wheeling. maybe because everything is loosened and heated up.

The trip down the mountain probably has your brakes warmed up.

When my unit bearings were going out, I could go around a corner and hear a slight scuffing sound. When you are going around corners/curves and you hear the sound, put slight pressure on the brake pedal. Notice any changes in the sound?

yes actually when the brakes are applied i can often get the sound to stop.

its generally difficult to get the noise in town, but after wheeling its just there until im parked overnight again. occasionally it can be heard turning slowly.

unit bearings?

Without having eyes on it, I'm thinking Unit Bearings.

Jack one side so the tire is off the ground. Put your hands at the 6 & 12-O'clock positions and push-pull to make the tire rock. If you can detect any movement or clunking, something is wrong.

If it helps I hear it more on right turns and brakes help the noise disapear. It has been said that as the bearing moves it may eventuallyreach the worn area and hence hearing it. This axle is salvage, how much trouble should thesee be to pop off. I've seen videos but no one shows the reality of struggling sometimes.

Back