• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 4.0 no electrical power

mrfoo84

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All, I have had my 98 sitting around for about 3+ years with little or no use. In the past, I would crank it and drive around for about 5 minutes but eventually the battery went dead and I think the fuel pump quit on me. I have received permission from "the boss" to work on bringing her back to life!!!! I bought a battery yesterday and rented a fuel pressure check kit. Cleaned battery terminals (not too bad on the corrosion) and hooked it up. No power whatsoever that I can tell. I put the key in and nothing happens, no interior lights, no beeping, nothing. Battery voltage checks out fine. I read a nice writeup on here how to replace the battery cables but I am wondering if there are any other steps I can take to check and see if it may be something else.

After not having the XJ in use for so long I am like a kid on Christmas thinking I will get her back up and running at least and then when that happened, it was a swift kick to the uh...:moon:. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help that can be provided.

Start with the basics. Test all the fuses and the ASD relay. Test that you have 12 volts to and from the ignition switch. Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Copper wires should be copper color, not black or green. Battery terminals and battery wire connectors should bright silver, not dull gray and corroded. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, the ground wires at the coil, and the ground wires from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, wire brush, and clean until shiny the cable/wire ends and whatever they bolt to.

Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad wire connections, or poor grounds.

Thanks Tim! I pulled all the fuses, no problems. Disconnected the ground wire from the body, wiped it off with my finger and reconnected and voila!! I have power, now onto testing for no start. I never put fuel treatment in my gas but I did add about 2-3 gallons of gas about a year ago when it last worked. My plan is to next test the fuel pressure. Past that any ideas?

The engine will turn over but will not crank. I had the fuel pressure tester hooked up and it read 0 PSI. I switched the cooling fan relay with the fuel pump relay and still same result.

Back