• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 help Bothell WA?

6t8amxetc

NAXJA Forum User
So this is probably a bit different for you Jeeper's. I have an older AMC Hornet (1977) carbureted car that I have installed an 93' AW4 in to.
I thought the TPS mounting to the carb and throttle valve cable were going to be the hard part. Well the wiring seems to be giving me the biggest problem.
I had the all the plugs for trans and TCU. Made a small wiring harness and have checked things over quite a few times. Still no proper electronic control.
I somehow get approx 5 volts on the TPS ground wire coming out of the TCU. I have 3 different TCU's that all check out the same way.

Anyway possibly looking for someone local that may be interested in helping out. Can offer some cash for help but the whole car is not worth spending a ton of money on. Besides that I have a 95 XJ 2wd sitting right beside it that is going to donate the whole AW4/4.0 in the future anyway.

Any advice/leads appreciated. Thanks...Ty

Sounds fun! I have a few 401's around also but I figured since my 14 year old son is showing interest in the car it would probably be a little smarter to use the 4.0 and aw4 in it! LOL...

Did you get rpm and VSS inputs connected? There is also engine coolant temp needed. And I'm probably missing a few. I talked t a guy a few years ago that did this swap in a Gremlin, yes V8 Gremlin, although he used one of my shift controllers so he didn't have to deal with wiring all the inputs. Good luck, it can be done but really the complete harness & motor from the 2wd will be the easy swap. I'd keep the V8 myself.

I wired a 98 aw4 in "standalone" which is the more advanced version with input and output rpm verification. The only inputs needed for your generation of controller are input RPM, brake, tps, and gear position. When you say you don't have electrical control, what symptoms do you have? I'd love to help out in person, but I'm in the middle of moving and don't have much free time.

Hey guys, thanks for the reply. Sorry so slow getting back to you but I don't get on here very often.
As of now it doesn't seem like the computer is doing anything. The car only drives in low gear and third gear. Which is what I have heard it will do if there is no computer?
Anyway I have the 12V lead and 12V ignition lead hooked up to computer. Most all other wires were run by color code to the plugs on trans. What I really can't understand is why would I be getting 5V coming from the computer on the wire that is supposed to be the TPS ground sensing wire?
The TPS is being fed it's 5V independently so it shouldn't have anything to do with it's feed.
I have done a few troubleshooting tests like checking the RPM sensor, ohm reading the solenoids, TPS resistance etc. Still stumped.
Wiring is definitely not my favorite!
Any other ideas? xeroOTG, where are you moving to?

Back