• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97' xj stereo question.

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I've done a few stereo swaps on thunderbirds, Oldsmobile and Hondas. Never on my jeep. Stereo came with it and I rocked it. it's been failing for a long time and just doesn't work now.
Picked up a stereo, jvc kd-r900, and I've pull the harness from the jeep. And the confusion comes from the harness.
61312ef86d7e32d92f319837b09d87ba.jpg

All the other stereos I've done had one plug but this jeep has 2?? One gray the other black and the issue I'm having mostly is the black ground wire. When I pulled the stereo, the black wire was spliced into a single black wire completely separated from the rest of the stereo harness, I figured I would just splice the stereo ground into the harness but The harness has a odd backwards deal going on for the ground
b931561438ccca27f5284e9ed737e0d8.jpg

Back side is a open spot I'm assuming is for another model
bfe80457e3f09298ebe3ca3589dca3cc.jpg

Any insight on this? Is the single black wire in the dash the ground? Anyone else just connect the stereo ground to the harness? Looking on Google it's a scosche connector for Chrysler.

I have done several Jeeps and there is supposed to be just the two gray and black connectors. The other one there is the connector they started using on some early 2000 models. The radios would be near identical but the connectors were different and it varied on the same vehicle but different models. This looks like a universal harness that was probably meant to cover every vehicle not matter what harness it had. I used to have to argue with the Best Buy guys about how Chrysler did two different styles and the one they had Listed wasn't always accurate for every single one made that year. I would ignore the black one on the adapter harness and just take the black one from the radio harness that came with it and hook directly to the separate black wire thats on the vehicle side. Unless that previous owner cut the end off the separate black wire coming from, the connector would slide onto a flat blade piece on the back of the OEM radio for the ground. You can just crimp on a male blade connector and it fits perfectly so it can be easily disconnected if needed.

Back