• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much damage to Aw4..if any?

PartyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Today driving home from work my xj stopped accelerating when I pulled over I saw my under carriage bathed in ATF!

My tranny had spilled its entire guts to the point it was no longer moving forward like if it was just in neutral.

It began slowy but then no forward movement . I drove it it about 3 miles from when it started doing it.

Did I **** anything up?...

The line that goes to the radiator popped off. I replaced it with hose and clamps refilled atf and it drove as before but ..
Still REALLY worried.

i personally know one person who pulled a tranny cooler line off while wheeling(didn't realize it) and drove it until it had no more "go."
fixed the line, filled it back up, and drove it for at least another year that i know of....it was just fine.
i seem to recall at least a couple people on this forum who had something similar happen.
you're *probably* fine, it's an amazingly durable tranny-for the most part.

Based upon years of experience, more than likely there was little if no damage.

Based upon years of experience, more than likely there was little if no damage.

I too popped a quik-connect line while out on trails, 5-6 years ago. I was cruising along and then I just stopped going forward. I got out and it looked there'd been a murder in the front and under my Jeep, the white XJ in my avatar. My buddy showed up shortly and said "I've been following that trail of fluid for the last two miles". I fixed the line while he drove back to get some ATF+4 (he didn't know, he drives a Ford). Enough to get it back the 20+ miles home. I flushed out the ATF+4 and filled it with DexIII. That was 50K miles ago and it's still going strong

Recently (last week) I blew a front seal at highway speed, didn't know other than the smoke screen. Filled it back up and drove back 5 miles to a gas station where I called AAA. I'm in the process of dropping that tranny and seeing what happened, but I doubt any real damage was caused there either (other than whatever popped the seal).

I guess im in the minority, but back when I ran slushboxes, I ran one dry. It was ok for a while, but it was never quite the same, and eventually died completely. People call it bulletproof, but thats a joke based upon my experience.

All that atf will keep it from rusting.
I'm w/ the previous post though, not good.
Driving it 3 miles?, if you called a tow truck at the first sign of trouble it would probably be ok.
If that was my way to get to the time clock, I would be looking for a new trans.
Just my 2Cent though.

I cratered a couple of 700r4's because of running the dry, but I've done a more than once on one of my AW4 trannys with no problems.

I didnt realize what was happening.It felt like it was loosing power intermittently. I was a little over a mile from home so I thought Id make it snd check ot then. In hindsight yes stupid. I drove it today and it seems fine . The only thing is I think my brake pads got soaked with atf it pulls to one side when I brake and makes a rubbing sound.

I popped a line off of mine and ran it until it wouldn't go about 50,000 miles ago. No issues that I can tell.

It's fine. Drive it and keep an eye on it. It's not a Chevy, ford or chrysler tranny......

And that's why they can go more than 100K without a rebuild! Well, if it was a Chrysler unit, it would be about 30K haha.

Well from my personal experiences you'll be fine. I've had my line pop 3 times and while I'm sure the tranny won't keep lasting through the issues. I fill it back with ATF and it keeps on going. Make sure not to use ATF+4 unless that's what it has. I did that once and the tranny had issues, flushed it ran Dex/merc and fixed it right away.

Back