• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sputtering???

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
99 xj 4.0 4x4

The jeep just started to do this today. What would cause a sputter when I hit the gas form a stop? I changed the plugs, cap & rotor, and wires 2 months ago and nothing has gone wrong until now. Where should I start? The jeep was warm when it did this.

sounds like something you put in is failing. Cheap spark plug wires fail fairly quickly. check for loose spark plug.

sounds like something you put in is failing. Cheap spark plug wires fail fairly quickly. check for loose spark plug.

I have to disagree-- after only 2 mos. I would look at other reasons for poor performance-- filters (fuel, air)
throttle position sensor problems
fuel pressure regulator problems

unless you have really boogered up the installation of plugs, cap, rotor, or wires, it's not very likely that they are your problem.

I think its got something to do with the fuel. I have a small leak and i can hear air getting into the tank. I dont know if it would have something to do with this but it might be the pump.

Fix known problems. Inspect most recent work performed. Test fuel pressure, test TPS, test Coolant Temperature Sensor, test O2 sensors.

Back