• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilding my head, should I remove the valves?

Nacho-1990

NAXJA Forum User
I'm rebuilding the head of my 1990 Renix (208k miles) I had a leaking head gasket. The local shop wants $80 to resurface it, and can vacuum test it if I leave all the valves and springs in.

I've never rebuilt an engine before, I was thinking of replacing all the valves and springs until I looked at the price. Should I just clean the head up and take it down as is or should I strip it down compleetly?

I'm rebuilding the head of my 1990 Renix (208k miles) I had a leaking head gasket. The local shop wants $80 to resurface it, and can vacuum test it if I leave all the valves and springs in.

I've never rebuilt an engine before, I was thinking of replacing all the valves and springs until I looked at the price. Should I just clean the head up and take it down as is or should I strip it down compleetly?

Your valves and springs are most likely in good shape. I did a backyard rebuild on my '90 XJ head that had over 200K miles on it and found that the only worn parts were the valve seals.

At 208k I would have the valve guides sleeved with bronze inserts at a minimum. It runs about $7 a valve last time I had it done. You don't want to do a rebuild and end up having smoke due to loose guides.

By the way, NEVER have valve guides knurled.

At 208k I would have the valve guides sleeved with bronze inserts at a minimum. It runs about $7 a valve last time I had it done. You don't want to do a rebuild and end up having smoke due to loose guides.

This. The shop can tell you if any valves need to be replaced.

Doing the guides is cheap insurance and they can throw in new seals while it's apart.

Ask them about doing a 3 angle valve job as well. It may not be too expensive and would give new life to the valves without having to completely replace them.

Back