• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 re-assembly problem

OhioXJ0311

NAXJA Forum User
1992 Cherokee sport
4.0 manual

Alright guys I'm in need of some help. So I tore apart my np231 to change the drive chain due to sagging concerns and now I can't get the thing back together. The front output shaft will NOT slide back into the needle bearing in the rear cover ( you know the bearing that's pressed into the rear cover webbed part?) It came out so easily I have no idea why it won't fit back in! Am I missing something obvious here or what...
Thanks guys

It is more difficult to get in with a tight chain. Lube, wiggle, swear. Repeat. I've tapped them together with a mallet, but don't hit it too hard!

Paul

I've tried all of that so many times and it won't budge. I removed the front output shaft and the rear cover and tried to fit it in without the chain just to see and it still won't fit, even with some help from the mallet. I figured it was the bearing so I ordered a new one and it still won't go in. Could the shaft have possibly swelled? Could I grind it down?

Back