• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC problem

fishfighter

NAXJA Forum User
1999 XJ. Dam AC not working. Here is the problem. The lower side pressure is at 45 psi, when the compressor kicks on, the pressure drops all the way to zero and then the clutch disengages. Doesn't kick back on till once the pressure climbs back up above 45 PSI which takes about a minute. It will cycle like that forever.

Why in the world is the pressure bleeding down to zero?

Thanks for any info.

Because your freon is low. Fill it with freon and the compressor will kick on and off. When the compressor is on, the pressure will drop. Keep filling it til the pressure is 30psi or so when the compressor is on. You might want to throw some stop leak with dye in there, cause your freon went somewhere.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

Sounds like the expansion valve or inline filter (on newer jeeps like yours) maybe plugged.

Or low on refrigerant or both.

Sounds like the expansion valve or inline filter (on newer jeeps like yours) maybe plugged.

Or low on refrigerant or both.

If I go any higher, something is going to blow. The pressure is at 45PSI now. It sounds as if the compressor is catching hell when first it kicks on and as pressure drops, it sounds normal till once the pressure drops to low.

You can skip to about 18 minutes

https://youtu.be/lglPJuBXVeE

He explains the pressure fluctuations. You can also hear the compressor cycling and watch the pressure changing on the gauge.

What you can do to fill it is jumper the low side pressure sensor to keep the compressor on, if you're worried that the pressure will build and blow something up while you're charging the system.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

If I go any higher, something is going to blow. The pressure is at 45PSI now. It sounds as if the compressor is catching hell when first it kicks on and as pressure drops, it sounds normal till once the pressure drops to low.

Sounds like the compressor is dying now. Compressors should be noise free. Only had one make noise as it crapped out and the valves were going bad, had huge fast shifts in the gauge pressures and lot of marble rattling noise.

Clogged expansion valve, or filter, clogged dryer, or dying compressor. Any noise from the compressor is bad.

Sounds like the compressor is dying now. Compressors should be noise free. Only had one make noise as it crapped out and the valves were going bad, had huge fast shifts in the gauge pressures and lot of marble rattling noise.

Clogged expansion valve, or filter, clogged dryer, or dying compressor. Any noise from the compressor is bad.

That is what I was thinking too! Not good.

Back