• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 extended shift

Matt93xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I could really use a bit of help. I am new to NAXJA, but I have searched the forums for the past month trying to find a thread on my problem to no avail. So here goes. I have a 1993 cherokee 4.0 AW4 sport that started life as grandma's 2WD daily driver. After purchasing the jeep I purchased a donor 2000 cherokee so I could use the axles transmission and NP231 transfer case. I wanted to go ahead and have the "new" transmission rebuilt so I sent it to a local transmission shop to have it rebuilt. After installing it Trans shifts excellent when it is cold, but when warms up 1st to 2nd shifts at 4100rpm the hotter it gets the longer it takes to shift. To try and correct the issue I have : R&R the radiator(incase cooler was clogged), added another Trans cooler, Replaced the valve body with a known good unit, replaced the 2 shift solenoids, and replaced the TPS. I can turn the TCU off and shift manually until it gets to hot, then the transmission will stay stuck in 2nd and 3rd. If you guys could help me out I'd love you forever. The transmission guys are stumped....... Thanks

Back