• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep tried to leave me for dead

the_mechanic

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a '95 4.0, 5-speed that attempted to leave me for dead yesterday. I was on a dirt track (not trail driving but still was being jostled around) and out of nowhere, the engine cut out. It did not cough, stumble, sputter, etc., just cut out and would not restart.

I looked and did not see anything obviously wrong but it still would not start. I let it roll backwards down the hill for a decent distance and went to restart it, fired right up and drove for about 1/4 mile before cutting out again in the same manner. Let it roll again until I hit an uphill, at which point it started again, went for a couple miles and cut out. This time I was not able to let gravity take over so I did some more digging under the hood.

Everything looked fine but she still wouldn't fire. Finally, for S 'n' G, I pulled the fuse for the ECM, left it out for a few seconds and reinstalled. The engine fired right up again and made it back home (about 8-10 miles back down the track and then 50 highway miles home) without any issue. This morning it started just fine and seems to run very smooth.

Might be unrelated, but I recently had it die on me when the fuel pump crapped out and then it wouldn't restart with a new pump. Finally swapped my old coil for the new one I had just put in and it had been running good until yesterday.

I am at a loss for what it might be, I am used to old vehicles so not really familiar with the modern computerized engines. Any ideas what I might check? I was told a couple of the engine sensors were new when I got the Jeep (I think TPS was one but I'm not sure) and I have already replaced the following in the last few months:

-Plugs
-Wires
-Cap
-Rotor
-Injectors
-IAC
-Battery
-Alternator
-O2 sensor (first a Bosch, now an NGK)

The only thing that I can think of which has been mentioned is the crank position sensor, could this be the issue? Are they difficult to replace? Any help is appreciated.

One thing to note, I am not getting (nor have I ever gotten) a CEL.

You say it didn't start, but did it crank?

It would crank fine, but would not fire.

Those symptoms are very similar to what happened on my 1993 4.0 XJ some time back. I jumped to the conclusion that the problem was the crank position sensor (CPS). Replacing that however did not cure the problem.

Turned out to be the coil which had failed. Since you already mentioned swapping out the coil, maybe that's the place to look?

The coil is not the issue...died on me again after I picked up a new coil. Attempted swapping it out on the side of the road to no avail. Now it will not start at all. Fuel pressure is good but will not fire. CPS is the only thing I can think of that is left...otherwise I am at a loss.

An update on this: I got the Jeep back to where I am staying (working out of town currently, about 200 miles from home, of course) yesterday and was able to do a little digging, no spark. The coil is getting 12 volts but it is getting an open ground. As far as I can tell, the ground wire runs back to the computer so I am back to thinking it is a bad CPS. Will be bringing my DMM over next weekend to check the CPS, does anyone have info on what I should be getting for readings? I have a Haynes manual but haven't been able to check it for that info yet.

Back