• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery issues

Chiefgunner1

NAXJA Forum User
Over the past few days I have noticed a very slow crank when trying to start my engine. Today, I was running some errands and I stopped at Target to get something. When I got out to my jeep are tried to start it, it was completely dead. I figured that I lost a cell and lost all power. I was able to start my jeep by jumping it. As I was driving home, the volt meter read just under 14 VDC all the way home until I was about 2 to 3 minutes from the house. At that point, the volt meter pegged at 19 VDC. I am wondering if this is consistent with a bad battery or possibly a bat alternator/ voltage regulator. What do you guys think?

If battery gauge shows 19 volts, suspect connectivity issues, terminals or wires. If the battery gauge shows 9 volts, suspect the alternator. After you have removed/inspected/cleaned/snugged all the battery/alternator/starter/ground wires, you may want to have the battery Load Tested.

Well, I was able to get the battery tested at Auto Zone. the battery checked out fine. I took the cables off and put them back on, and everything seems to be working fine now. I am thinking that some corrosion got between the posts and the cable connectors. I went ahead and bought some new connectors so I will change those out later tonight when it cools down.

Back